Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Hood popping tricks

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 78 k5, May 25, 2005.

1. 78 k5

78 k5 1/2 ton status

Anybody know a way to get a later model (1990) hood popped when the pull cord in the cab doesnt work :confused:

2. K5er4Life

K5er4Life 1/2 ton status

Is the cord connected but the hood just doesnt pop up? Or is the cable broken and you cant open the hood at all? My latch always sticks a little so after I pull the handle I go and give a little rap on the top front portion of my hood. That always seems to get her loose. I have been doing it that way for the last 5 years and has worked everytime. But last year I took the latch apart and cleaned everything off really good, sprayed a litttle lithium grease in their and tossed it back on and now it works every time. I dont have any suggestions if your cable is broke, just hope nothing goes wrong in your engine for the rest of the time that you own your truck. :rolleyes: There was a post not too long ago about how to open your hood with a broke cable I think.

3. RootBreaker

RootBreaker 3/4 ton status Premium Member

agreed
    we need to know if you hear the cable pulling the lever.. or is the cable disconnected...

mine was acting up... I had to pull the lever then grab and YANK the hood hard... opened it up and white lithiumed the hood lock latch and the springs on the sides...

now opens with every pop :grin:

4. 88sub4x4

88sub4x4 1/2 ton status

My cable was stretched out, so I used a screwdriver to get it open, then I hooked up a coat hanger to pull in case the handle didn't work.

5. K5er4Life

K5er4Life 1/2 ton status

Nice, I like it, good ole redneck style but hey whatever works right? :saweet:

6. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

yeah coat hanger or baling wire backup is a smart move for sure, its saved me a couple times in the past
    you may have to remove grille to get at the lever that will release the safety catch if the cable is broken or whatever

good luck

7. 78 k5

78 k5 1/2 ton status

the cord is just stretched. Beat on the hood huh :confused:

8. Chaddy

Chaddy 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

hood beatings

my hood on my 1990 blaze always sticks even after a grip of wd40 and all you do is smack the left or right corner of your hood and it should pop up

9. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

Next time you get it open, spray the latch down with White Lythim Grease, not WD-40. WD-40 will actually make it stick. My '86 Jimmy hood had the notorious sticking hood until I lubed it properly. Now it opens like new.

10. K5er4Life

K5er4Life 1/2 ton status

Most definitely, little lithium grease makes it like new.

11. 78 k5

78 k5 1/2 ton status

got it and have a coat hanger "saftey" cord. thanks

12. GM Man

GM Man 1/2 ton status

This just happened to me, and I what I did was, pull out the grill and you can reach up in there and pop the hood yourself. Once I figured this out it was really easy to do. There is a lever and if you pull it towards the drivers side fender, it should open it.

13. RootBreaker

RootBreaker 3/4 ton status Premium Member

how did you get the grill out?
    I have screws under the hood part so couldnt get the grill off...

years ago I just took shears and cut a hole in the hood and re-connected the cable... (had a spare hood....)

14. Jonny-K5

Jonny-K5 1/2 ton status

same here, tho any type of lubricant on the latch always fixes it right up.the sweet spot on my truck is on the middle where the latch is, slightly towards the drivers side. when u pull the cable u gotta make sure it doesnt slide back and lock, so dont slam your door inbetween pulling the cable and hitting the hood.

i kinda like it when my hood sticks, causs then you get to do hit it like the Fonz :D

15. hunter

hunter Registered Member

lmfao...thats what I do...open the door...pull the latch...then hit the hood right in the front/middle at the ridge....works every time....fonzie style :D

16. theitalian404

theitalian404 Registered Member

Pri-bars can be put to more uses then breaking into houses. :D

17. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

Dont call the fire dept!...

The local fire department wastes NO time looking for the hood latch,or trying to see if it works...they just CHOP it open with a big fire ax!! :yikes: :yikes: --no time to waste if its burning,right? :whistle:
    other ways to
    open it are.. :weld: :hack: :grind: :ignore:

18. jekquistk5

jekquistk5 Weld nekid Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Do what I did leave a bottle of Power steering fluid sitting right under the latch, go in to watch football or some tv show, come back out when its dark. Shut the hood and go.... :doah: :doah: Then dislodge the bottle from the latch, and its as good as new. My hood opens everytime now :)

19. suthrnchvyguy89

suthrnchvyguy89 Registered Member

mine doesnt work either, i just pull it the thing, go around front and push down one it about a foot away from the center chevy thing on each side a couple times and that always works, you just gotta know how to push it just enough not to shut it all the way again

20. MuddQueenK5

MuddQueenK5 Registered Member

Hrm I am having a similar problem now. I pull the hood latch and I hear the pop but then I go to pull on the hood nothing. I am scared I am going to break a bracket or something underneath so I only tug a bit. I can get my fingers on the corners and when I work my way to the center it just gets tight. Any ideas?