Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Hood pops up in rear

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Suffergauge, Dec 18, 2002.

1. Suffergauge

Suffergauge 1/2 ton status

How do you fix this problem? I have seen it on almost every old chevy. It drives me nuts! I can push it back down but as soon as I drive it pops right back up. Springs shot? Hood not adjusted right? My search didn't really help. I am sure there is a fix for this and it is bugging the hell out of others too.

2. balzackks84

balzackks84 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Did you make sure all the spring bolts were tight? The ones on the hood and the fender.

3. CooknwithGas

CooknwithGas 1/2 ton status

Just to save you some money - I purchased two new springs and installed them last week. The hood opens faster and is harder to close, but it didn't solve the back sticking up problem (made it worse on one side). It may be a combination of adjustment and new springs, but I haven't tried adjusting it again yet.

When you find out what it is, let me know.

4. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

I had this problem on my older truck and its just the hinge mechanism wearing out. We used to make the holes longer on the hinge part that bolts to the fender so we could drop it all the way down so it was level. Still opened bad cause it was still worn out though.

5. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

I've got the same problem on the drivers side of my old 76 K5. I just try not to look at it. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif

6. FL84K5

FL84K5 1/2 ton status

You dont need those Being reliable is a major goal for mine. I like to hit the back wood trails that don't see much use. So The mods I'd recomened would be: 3/4 Ton axles (cheaper then 1 Ton, but 1 Ton is better) and either a 4" or 6" suspension lift, and 33" to 36" tires. Now I don't know how you feel about trimming fenders, so I'll leave that one alone. That'll get ya out in the woods.

7. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

OK here it is.
    The problem is in the brakets like someone mentionned.
    The springs don't fix anything.
    2 ways to fix it, either get a new set or used in good condition, and that is easy to check if you hold it without the springs on it and wggle it and try and open and close it, if you feel any slop when it's on the hood the slop is ten times more because of the length of the hood (leverage).
    The second is to fix yours. Depending on the cost, I couldn't find any replacement so I had no choice, I drilled the rivets out, noe I saw the oblong holes. I drilled them out in a bigger size until I got a round hole.
    I machined some rivets for that size, and installed them in and pounded the edges for a tight fit.
    Grease them and install them.
    It made a world of difference and it cost me $10 in material, since I had the lathe. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    But I think you can find a good set if you look hard enough or buy new.
    I have a couple of sets now that I took of some clean trucks.
    If anyone is CA and wants them, feel free to message me.
    I don't want to suggest this to anyone far because I think the shipping would cost too much but if someone is desperate I am OK with shipping them to ya.
    /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

8. TopOff

TopOff 1/2 ton status

I had a '72 truck (I found out the hard way).
    I left the springs on the hood hinges, and took the hood off. Put the hood back on and voila' the rear would pop up.

I have a '73 Blazer same deal, I took the hood off without taking the springs off first, blam-O the rear pops up.

So I think - the hinges buckle under the weight of the springs and they do not close again. And/or the hinges have worn through. The trick, is finding a good set of hinges, or replacing the oblong ones as Iceman has.

LMC sells these for $29.99 EACH! ouch.

Good luck.

9. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

EASY FIX:

Loosen the hinges on both sides. Have a friend push the hood open as far as it will open which will rotate the hinges in their loosened position, then tighten it down while hey hold it like this. When you close the hood the back will be resored back to its original flush position. The problem is... its really hard to do this alone!!!

10. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

Did the adjusting thing.
    If the hinges are good, it will work, if the hinges are sloppy it gets better but you still have some play. Plus there isn't much room for adjusting.

11. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

Fender trimming is especially hard on the hinges. I've busted two already.

12. ChevyCaGal

ChevyCaGal 3/4 ton status

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    EASY FIX:

Loosen the hinges on both sides. Have a friend push the hood open as far as it will open which will rotate the hinges in their loosened position, then tighten it down while hey hold it like this. When you close the hood the back will be resored back to its original flush position. The problem is... its really hard to do this alone!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

I second this. I remember reading a post about someones hood flying open on the road and the bending back fixed this issue...

13. Suffergauge

Suffergauge 1/2 ton status

FL84K5... Huh? Already lifted and modded...

Everyone else thanks for all the info. It is one of the many things on my noid list. It just happens that I see it every time I drive so I am constantly reminded of how much it bugs me /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif .

Borrego, what about using a 2x4 or something to hold it open while adjusting? I live in the woods, not to many neighbors. I am gonna try the 2x4 trick just for grins.

14. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

That will work, that's what I had to do since I never have any helping hand.
    /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

15. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

Yeah, that or a rope over a tree works well too! Only here the "association" would hang me by it!

16. FWP

FWP CRS

My take on this... I leave it that way. It's helps out if you have to open the hood when the body is twisted up on a trail /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif