Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Hood stiffeners

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by CAPTAINK5-CT, Sep 22, 2000.

1. CAPTAINK5-CT

CAPTAINK5-CT 1/2 ton status

Ordered stiffeners from whitney. They don't mount as easy as the instructions state. On my 86 the hood mounts are on the side, not flat on the bottom of the hood. There are two holes (I guess where the hood springs used to mount). Tried to get my hand inside with a nut to bolt the stiffener on, but fingers to short. I may try getting a large self tapping screw. Any thoughts?

2. '73 K5

'73 K5 1/2 ton status

Is there anyway to hotglue the nut in a combination wrench and then stick the wrench inside the opening and put a bolt into it. Once you get the bolt started you can break the glue loose and tighten it up regular style. What do you think?

'73 K5
    Chevy good...Ford bad

3. Captkaos

Captkaos 1/2 ton status

81-91 C/K\'s don\'t need...

The '81-91 C/K trucks don't need the stiffeners. The newly designed hood on the new body styled solved the weak spot on the hood.

Stiffeners are for the 73-80's.

Chris Lucas
    http://www.captkaoscustoms.com

4. K5Jimmy

K5Jimmy 1/2 ton status

I have an 89...while coming across the Texas Panhandle on one of those two lane highways runnin' about 75 with the traffic, I met an 18 wheeler that was pushin' so much air it almost lifted me off the road...I swear the hood lifted a full 3" at the windshield...anyway, I have a twist that will not settle, so the hood is about half an inch off in front...I'm thinkin' of hood pins...the hood stiffener worked fine to take the "Chevy Bow" out of my 79 hood...I also grease my hood springs and hinges regularly now...JD

5. CAPTAINK5-CT

CAPTAINK5-CT 1/2 ton status

The glue idea may work. On my 75 pickup the hood was bowed. I just figured better to be safe than sorry, especially for $12.99. Thanks for the tip.