Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Hood Vent Question

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by opfor2, May 13, 2006.

1. opfor2

opfor2 1/2 ton status

With summer rapidly approaching, I'm looking forward to my annual 4x4 adventures into the HOT Mojave desert. I was thinking about installing some hood vents to help extract the super heated air from my engine compartment. I was looking at these http://www.raceace.com/home.html and I was wondering if anyone has them on there rigs? I did a search and I didn't see anything on hood vents so hears your chance to chime in and tell us what you guys and gals have on your Blazers.:laugh: :laugh:

thanks

Dan..

2. walla2k5

walla2k5 1/2 ton status

I don't see why they wouldn't work.Get some and lets see them on...I really have no use for them,no inner fenders.:laugh:

3. WhiteBurb

WhiteBurb 1/2 ton status

And if you don't like them send them back: "You'll be floored! Or, return them in 30 days for a full refund (including shipping!). No risk "free trial"!

Nevermind the fact you'll have two big holes in the hood.

I saw this write-up a while ago. He used vents from a Grand Prix: http://www.oman4x4.com/hoodventinstall.htm

It might be worthwhile to search the junkyards to find a set for cheap.

4. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

good grand prix vent idea... might use that myself...

j

5. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

I'd think fender gills to be a better idea, although somewhat less easy to plumb.

Wouldn't this allow water to pour onto the top of your engine when it rains?

Not that some of you have to worry about that. :)

6. jekbrown

Well, a properly shaped louver doesn't allow rain to fall straight down into the engine compartment. The holes are on the back side of each louver so a drop of water coming straight down wouldn't go inside. I'm sure a small amount of water would get in there when it rained hard, but it probably wouldn't be any more than when you drive through a good sized mud puddle.

Mounting location could also be wisely chosen. If I was going to put louvers in my hood, for example, I'd put them so the holes in them were juuuust outside the headers on each side. This would allow heat rising off the engine to exit, and yet even if water poured in like a waterfall, it wouldn't be dropping right on your engine.

j

7. ecameron87

ecameron87 1/2 ton status

I saw once where someone put two round shower drain covers into the top of their hood. They even painted it to match. It was positioned so that water coming through would drip to each side of the motor. It actually looked pretty good and it cost around 5 bucks.

8. smalltowncowboy

smalltowncowboy 1/2 ton status

i will have to look through my old magazines. there was a write up on this with a different kit. i remember they put a set on a cherrokee but i know it didnt cost 135 bucks. it was only like 35 bucks or so. if i can find it i will post up a business site for them.

9. jekbrown

I remember the exact mag article... it was a white cherokee and they used a nifty laser temp thingy to check engine temps before and after. IIRC, it was a set of raceace louvers...

j

10. smalltowncowboy

smalltowncowboy 1/2 ton status

yah thats the article i just didnt think the vents cost that much. so far the junk yard ones im finding are from laberons and new yorkers.

11. littlejimmythatcould

littlejimmythatcould 1/2 ton status

Could go to lowes or Home Depot and get some floor vent registers, you know, the metal vents on the floor in a house. Aside from looking really hillbilly, they are also functional and most of them can be adjusted to be completely closed and if the hole is cut properly, will sit fairly flush on the hood. I got a buddy back home that has two of them on the hood of his furd. Just an idea...

12. jekbrown

yeppers, definitely hillbilly style. There are probably other types of ventilation cover thingies at home depot etc that would work... just have to wander around and find something good.

j

13. littlejimmythatcould

That's how I roll.

14. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

that was my thought. mudtrucks around here use them quite a bit.

15. opfor2

opfor2 1/2 ton status

Now that's ghetto :doah: :doah: :doah:

16. littlejimmythatcould

That's something that would make it onto "Redneck My Ride" for sure. I'd tune into a show like that instead of Pimp My Ride.

17. jekbrown

one thing about those floor ventilator grilles though, is that the slots aren't designed the same way as a automotive louver. If you look at an auto louver from directly above, you can't see the holes in it... with the floor vent, you can. This probably increases air flow in the floor vent, but it also hurts you in a keep-the-water-out sense. If you hit a TTC-like mud puddle and water was rushing over your hood, the vast majority of it would glide right over an auto louver... and a lot would prolly poor right into the floor vent. Just a thought.

j