Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Hood wont open, need some serious help............

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Silver84k5, Feb 6, 2003.

1. Silver84k5

Silver84k5 1/2 ton status

Is there a way to get my hood open without being able to pop it? and without cutting or bending it all up. This is freakin ridicoulous. /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

2. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

Is the cable busted? Or, did it just not release all the way when you pulled on the hood release?

3. Silver84k5

well heres the story, the other day it did the same thing, it would release but when you put your hand in there and pulled the latch it wouldnt open, i look closely, and one of the bolts had come loose on the latch that holds it to the crossmember, we fixed that and adjusted the hood at the same time....... now when i pull the cable, it makes the sound of popping the hood, and it comes up a little bit, but it doesnt come up enough to grab the lever under the hood and release it so it opens.... grrrrrrrr this doesnt sound like it makes sense, kinda hard to explain.

4. MEPR

MEPR 1/2 ton status

see if you can grab the handle through the grill. I have done this on my ford and acouple of chevys.

5. UseYourBlinker

UseYourBlinker 1 ton status

Mine does the same thing. Take the palm of your hand ,and hit the edge of the middle of the hood.

6. Silver84k5

I tried that, but that handle didnt do anything.....

7. Silver84k5

That used to work, but trust me i have beat the hell outa that thing tonight trying to get it open, thats not it.. Looks like fiberglass hood here we come.......

8. Silver84k5

Thx for responses. looks like High steer is gonna have to wait, till i get a new hood /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

9. luckdawg

luckdawg Newbie

Hey I had the same problem & I had to take off the fender to get the latch. Since this is a common problem with Chevy's, take the latch assembly out & get hood pins. Drill two holes and you'll never have that problem again! Anyway that's my two cents. Hope I was of help Good Luck!

10. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

If you can rach up there, try and pull the cable...if not, take out the drivers side wheelwell and pull the cable from there, or try to get to the latch

11. Silver84k5

dont you need the hood up to get the fenders off? or the inner fender for that matter?........... If i dont get the fiber hood, i will definatley get hood pins..........

12. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    dont you need the hood up to get the fenders off? or the inner fender for that matter

[/ QUOTE ]

Nope, 3 bolts bottom front, 2 bolts in the rear and about 6 to 9 bolts along the lip of the wheel well and the inner fender will drop /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

13. ChevyCaGal

ChevyCaGal 3/4 ton status

Standing in front of the truck, smack it with an open hand pretty hard to the left of the crease about 4-6" back from the front... does that make sense? It should pop up if it's pulling what mine did. It's actually a nice anti theft device. Nobody could figure it out ever..... /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

14. ZonkRat

ZonkRat 1/2 ton status

My hood needs wack just right to open.Hit it wrong and it relatches itself.Been that way for years. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

15. ChevyHuny

ChevyHuny 1/2 ton status

My 85 k5 used to need to be whacked like that but the whack always worked. My 96 sometimes gets stuck but if you whack it the same way as the K5......it closes. /forums/images/graemlins/ooo.gif /forums/images/graemlins/mad.giflol

Josh not to make this situation any more frustrating but I got a good chuckle out of the image of you getting all ticked and whacking the heck out of your hood. [​IMG]

I hope you have it all worked out now though. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

16. mofugly13

mofugly13 1 ton bucket of rust Premium Member

I had that same problem with mine. Turns out the pin in the hood that the latch catches onto had come out of its mount. My hood's an aftermarket that the PO put on when he changed to 91 front clip. I was able to get a screwdriver in there and work the latch and I popped the hood open. The pin fell out. Its about 3" long and 3/8" in diameter and at the last 1/8" or so the diameter reduces to 1/4", I think its supposed to be spot welded in , but it IS made in taiwan. I ended up drilling and tapping a hole in the end where it reduces to 1/4" then I reinstalled it and put a 10-32 stainless screw in to keep it in place. Since the hood sees a lot of vibration I used loctite and a lock washer. So far so good, it's been about a month. But as far as initially getting the hood open, that was a major PIA. Good Luck.

17. RLBstein

RLBstein 1/2 ton status

I just have to say that the whack the hood idea is histerical. I used to have to do that to mine before the rebuild. Maybe Chevy should just put that into the owners manual.

TO OPEN HOOD:
    1. Pull hood release lever.
    2. Take palm of hand and "smack" hood on left side of crease.
    3. Move lever over and raise hood.
    4. If hood does not pop up after step 2, repeat step 2.
    DISCLAIMER: Damage done by incorrect use of step 2 will void warranty.

/forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif