Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Hooker comp. headers?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by rjfguitar, Jan 28, 2004.

1. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Bought a set of 1 year old hooker competition headers from a buddy of mine for $40 bucks yesterday, installed them today,and plan to take it to the exhaust shop in the morning to have my flowmasters piped back in. Who has hooker comps on their rig? Do you like them a lot, not bad, or hate them? Problems with leaks? How long do they usually last? I used the percy "seal-4-good" aluminum gaskets. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif Thanks!

2. SUBFAN

SUBFAN 1/2 ton status

I loved the Pontiac ones in my '70 Cutlass /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

I will be buying a set for the Burb in the near future. IMHO, a better header is not made.

Hookers all the way /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

Lookin at your motor and all, youve probably had headers, but be sure to check the bolts after one or 2 heat cycles, and then week or so, then month. THose bolts take awhile to stretch out before they quit gettin loose.

4. mccomas

mccomas 1/2 ton status

how do you plan to run your exhaust back (duels or into one muffler) and what size? please post some pics when you are done.

5. rjfguitar

[ QUOTE ]
    Lookin at your motor and all, youve probably had headers,

[/ QUOTE ]Nope, I put my stock manifolds on my 406 when I switched motors because I was low on cash and anxious to get the motor in. Plus I have been worried about smog. After I got them installed I let them warm up and then I retorqued the bolts, they got a little loose already.

6. rjfguitar

[ QUOTE ]
    how do you plan to run your exhaust back (duels or into one muffler) and what size? please post some pics when you are done.

[/ QUOTE ]
    I already have dual 2 1/2" pipe through dual 40 series flowmasters, and out dual 5" tips. I am just going to have the shop connect my pipes to the reducers. I am very excited on how it will all sound with the hookers because It already sounded pretty sweet with the crappy manifolds. /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif It's friggin loud now with open headers...reminds me of a demolition derby! /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

7. SUBFAN

SUBFAN 1/2 ton status

One of the greatest sounds in the automotive world is hearing the compressed gasses exiting an open header right before startup.

8. fly_n_hi_yukon

fly_n_hi_yukon Registered Member

<--Hooker Comps

I've got Hooker Comp headers on my '69. They're ok I guess. Started to leak on the primaries side of the collector on one side though. Had to re-weld them to stop the leak. They're full length, so they hang kinda low on my truck since it's dropped. I'll probably go with a set of coated JBA shorties when I replace the exhaust next.

9. 73K5Kid

73K5Kid 1/2 ton status

I have competion hooker headers and they were leaking at the flanges. I had my local muffler shop cut the flanges off and weld it to a straight pipe. No more leaks. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif