Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Hooker comps #2453 & SM465

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by JIMs70K25, Jan 16, 2002.

1. JIMs70K25

JIMs70K25 1/2 ton status

This has probably been asked, but I just searched through 3 months of header post and did not find it. Will the subject combo work, in regards to the clutch linkage? Anybody running them now? I looked at hookers site and read all the footnotes and it appears the linkage is not a problem. Thanks,

<a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/user/70gmc>My 70 GMC</a>

2. JIMs70K25

JIMs70K25 1/2 ton status

3. Quetzal_SJ

Quetzal_SJ 1/2 ton status

<a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/forums/showflat.php?Cat=&amp;Board=firstgen&amp;Number=136518&amp;page=&amp;view=&amp;sb=&amp;o=&amp;vc=1>http://coloradok5.com/forums/showflat.php?Cat=&amp;Board=firstgen&amp;Number=136518&amp;page=&amp;view=&amp;sb=&amp;o=&amp;vc=1</a>

Here is a link to the same Q. I will have the same prob when my time comes.

Lico

<P ID="edit"><FONT class="small">Edited by Quetzal_SJ on 01/19/02 06:37 PM.</FONT></P>

4. huggerk5

huggerk5 Registered Member

Have you bought your ram horns? If so how much are they? I am running a pair I scrounged fron junk yard, but one of the ears to the collector was broken. I tried to fix , but did not last long. TIA.

5. JIMs70K25

JIMs70K25 1/2 ton status

Have not bought them yet, probably late Feburary. My 70 GMC or <a target="_blank" href=http://communities.msn.com/jims70gmc>My 70 GMC</a>

6. huggerk5

I am running them now. I bet they flow as good as some headers. Plus a little back pressure increases tork. So I've been told. Thanks for the information.

7. Steve_Chin

Steve_Chin 1/2 ton status

Whomever told HuggerK5 that backpressure is beneficial to torque is sadly misinformed about tuning an exhaust system. There are alot of variables in exhaust system tuning for high performance, and in order to make best power backpressure has to be minimal, along with the cross-sectional area of the pipes and their associated lengths set properly for the cam timing, engine displacement, crankshaft stroke, R/S ratio, RPM of interest, etc.

Anyhow, a friend has a set of Hooker Comps on his manual tranny Blazer (used to be an SM465 Blazer, now has an NV4500), and they fit OK, but hung a bit low so he bent them a little higher. I'll try to find out what model number he got.

8. huggerk5

Steve, very interested in your statement. My motor dynoed at 466 lb ft torque with hooker comps. They had 3" collectors and I made them fit it was a bad dream. But that was the numbers on the water brake. How much do you think I have % wise? Best guess. I am not trying to be smart I just don't know.Also it the hassel of headers worth the trade off. I know run the 2.5" ram horns. If it is a large difference I may go back. Your thoughts please.

9. Steve_Chin

Steve_Chin 1/2 ton status

I'm not sure what the flow through the ram's horns is like, but from the looks of them they don't offer any pulse separation. Given that, I'd bet that with an engine that makes more than 450 lbs*ft. of torque the manifolds would lose between 5% and 15% of power through the range with a set of manifolds versus a set of reasonable headers. With a good set of headers compared to the manifolds, the losses would be greater.