Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

hooker header question...<--look @ K5MONSTERCVEV :)

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Avery4jc, Jul 28, 2006.

1. Avery4jc

Avery4jc 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Hey guys I need help fast....there is a guy local selling a set of new hooker headers for $80. He said they are for a sb chevy. Does hooker make different headers or will sb 350 hooker headers fit my '85 K10

I hadn't planned on doing this but I know how much these normally are and at $80 I can't go wrong.

Thanks!

http://fresno.craigslist.org/pts/186389999.html

-Avery

Last edited: Jul 29, 2006
  2. ryoken

ryoken Puppy Fabricator Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Without a part #, they could be for a Chevelle, Camaro, etc.... Might fit, might not...

3. Avery4jc

4. 1-ton

1-ton 1/2 ton status Premium Member

If they are new I would jump on them. Make sure to look at them good, in order to make sure their is no damage to them from somebody trying to install them.

5. SkysTheLimit

SkysTheLimit 1/2 ton status

According to Holley's website, no they are not legal in Cali.

God bless living in a state with no emissions testing / inspections.

http://www.holley.com/data/Products/Technical/2452HKR.pdf

6. Avery4jc

Yeah they are brand new. He has an El Camino that he bought off a guy and the guy sent them brand new in the box with the El Camino because he ordered the wrong ones and waited too long to send them back to Summit.

Gosh Dangit!!?!?! What if I just put the sensors on these headers? Plus who is going to know, or do they have a visual inspection when you go for smog?

What am I supposed to use?

-Avery

7. drofdar

drofdar 1/2 ton status

They will check for the o2 sensor during your smog inspection. But you will need it anyway if you are running tbi, injected, with computer. By the way, interested in those axles? PM me.

8. Avery4jc

Ok, at this price I think I should just get them, drill and tap for the O2 sensor put it in and cross my fingers. I am good friends with the guy at the local smog shop and I don't think he would ever say anything but I hate putting people in bad situations like that, kind of akward, you know.

Yeah I am interested in those axles except that requires money which would require more money to get 8 lug rims and a new rear drive shaft and such. I would like to pick them up and let them sit at my place until I have the money to do the swap but since this rig has to be ready to take me to school next month I think I would be better off regearing my current axles and fixing the tranny.

I don't know man, PM me with your rock bottom price. Hmmm what about a 6 lug 14bff, (not a 14bsf) an axle shaft swap. Let me see what that would cost.

-Avery

9. Avery4jc

Ok, I just got home from work and my mom and dad are on me for wanting to run and get these headers because my dad brought up the fact that what would I do with the AIR system. I think that's what it is, the vent tube that runs from the top of the header to the intake. All it does though is help it warm up and the coldest it gets here is in the 40's and that's not even normal. I ran without it when I got the truck, couldn't I just not worry about it or is it required?

-Avery

10. blackblazer717

blackblazer717 1/2 ton status

the air system doesnt worm up anything, thats what the stove pipe deal is on your stock manifold going up to your stock airbox. the ait system is for emissions. you live in cali so i wouldnt take it out unless its all off highway use. all that "AIR system" stuff is connected to your "smog pump". what i didn with my headers is i drilled a pole in one of the primarys and welded the air tube to it so it would work like stock just with headers, thats why they sell "smog legal headers" but i made my own....lol probably didnt help but its cool
    LUKE

11. spearchucker

spearchucker 1/2 ton status

Yes they will do a visual check to see if they are legal headers. I'm sure anyone could tell that you modified the header to have it accept a bung for the O2 sensor. And I do believe that CA legal headers have a plate with some kind of identification on it rivited to the header indicating that it is smog legal.
    I know, if you can make it just like the legal one with the bung then what does it matter .... :rolleyes: Stupid CA smog laws.

12. chevy wrangler

chevy wrangler 1/2 ton status

i got some hookers that came off an el camino and they didnt fit!!! they would hit my t-case!!!! they were too long, i got em for 20 bucks so i didnt care they were all beat up, i traded them for a brand new ac compresor, to put air in my tires!!!LOL

13. Avery4jc

Ok so I'm getting mixed signals here. So I could drill and tap a hole for the O2 sensor and do away with the "stove pipe" because it doesn't get that cold here anyways. Then when they did a visual they would see the O2 sensor and be ok, or they would look for the approval # issued to companies like Edelbrock who go through the Kalifornia crap to prove themselves worthy?

-Avery

14. 79k20350

79k20350 3/4 ton status

Not to huge on smog but you prolly need to keep thje stove pipe... unless you got 50 state legal headers. as for an 02, you cant tap it in, you need to weld a bung on.

15. Avery4jc

Ok bear with me tonight, I'm being thick headed...what's not to huge on smog?

The only way I can keep the stove pipe is if I get smog legal headers like those Edelbrocks. Shoot since it's only every two years why don't I just swap them in and out or are they not really worth that? Maybe I should get them, weld in the bung for the O2 sensor and I guess leave the stovepipe hanging down by the headers that way it still is there and has hot air it's taking in but it just isn't connected to the exhaust like it is now. Then go see if I pass next time (I just did it about two months ago so I'm good for almost two years) and if not put the stockers back on.

I'm going to have such a different life in two years I don't know if I'll even have the truck and if I do it won't be street legal by then anyways. In two years I'll be living away from home, going to college somewhere and driving a little commuter car eating mac and cheese every night. :eek1:

-Avery

16. Avery4jc

17. obijuan

obijuan 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

NOOOO commuter cars! NOOO i drive my blazer to texas state everyday about 30 miles one way no regrets! 'cept for selling my 77...

18. Avery4jc

I was just making a point, don't freak out. I'll still have something fun, maybe a bagged PRE FREAKIN' '75 C10 with a 383 and tubbed out back. Who the heck knows, what I do know though is that someone on this board is holding sweet information that I would like to know, *cough* *K5MONSTERCHEV* *cough*.

Seriously though when you get a chance to read this (changed the title for ya') please let me know what's up.

-Avery

19. 1-ton

1-ton 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I doubt any CARB certification for your headers will be asked for during a smog inspection. As long as you do not have a smog pump, which needs air tubes ging into the header pipes, then you are golden on these headers. As you already know you will defenitly need an O2 sensor. Since your truck probably has a CAT, with single exhaust, the best place to put an O2 is where the Y-pipe comes together as one because it then measures exhaust gasses from both banks of the engine.

You will definitly need the stove pipe for smog. All you need to do is tack weld a short peice of exhaust tube to the header tube on the number 2 cylinder, then run a length of aluminum flex hose to the air cleaner.

This is a hot air kit from Hedman Headers
    [​IMG]

20. Avery4jc

Ok, so your saying to put the O2 sensor not in the headers themselves but instead in where they come together after my "Y" pipe. That would be better too because I wouldn't have to destroy the new headers.

I looked on Headman's site and found the kit but I still couldn't see in too great of detail what it was. So do you drill a hole in the #2 cylinder's header pipe then weld that output on so that you can connect the tube for the stove pipe?

Oh, and here's the stupid question of the evening, what smog pump is everyone talking about?

-Avery