Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Hooker Super Comps?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by SUBFAN, Jan 20, 2004.

1. SUBFAN

SUBFAN 1/2 ton status

Didn't I read on here somewhere that some people were using early Camaro headers in their rigs. They said they fit up nice and tight, with no issues....

Just trying to figure out how to spend the refund /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

2. big d

big d 1/2 ton status

Re: Since my search abilities suck....

come-on people, help the guy out. some one ought to know. perty-please ! /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

3. bablazer73

bablazer73 1/2 ton status

try this one
    If you can't figure out the best way to spend your refund......send it to me. I'll be more than happy to help!

4. SUBFAN

SUBFAN 1/2 ton status

Thanx /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

I've got Hedman Elites (69890 with no emissions) on my truck (or for my truck, but I test fit them already) and I can't say anything bad about them except some shackle bolt interference on the passenger side, which some people experience and some don't. (GM probably didn't bother setting the motor mounts in the trucks perfectly straight every time lol) Hedman told me it was because my rig was lifted, but since it's not lifted, thats not the problem. Oh well, ratcheting tie down strap bent it enough (with no kinks, dents, or marring of the coating or tubes) to clear. FWIW Hedman offered to let me return them, but I doubt anything would fit better...the fitment problems are common in all header applications, since each individual vehicle can vary so much.

Thick wall tubing, thick flanges, decent coating (looks to be inside and out) and ball/socket type exhaust connectors, which are ten times better than the flat style that leaks all the time. Not that expensive, and since my collector interfered slightly with the rear shackle bolt on the passenger side, obviously don't hang real low.

With headers, stick with some that are made for the rig you are working on. Unless you know someone that has a header made for a different application, on a rig right now, and they know the actual part number, I'd say stay the hell away from buying headers not made for an application.

Long tube is where it's at for torque, the trucks have plenty of room, go that route. FWIW, don't feel bad if you don't want to/can't shell out the $$ for Thorley's, the most recent test I've seen showed them as being less than optimal (compared to a long tube header) for a truck/torque application.

For the price, I don't know that you can get a better header than the Hedman Elites. Sure, possible slight fitment issues, but what other headers have the thick flanges, thick wall tubing, good coating, and the ball/socket exhaust connection, at that price?

6. SUBFAN

SUBFAN 1/2 ton status

I will look at those....

No Thorleys for me, I like the long tubes, always have.

Now I want to hear from some of the Hooker Super Comp guys....

One issue I am having with going with Hookers, is that they are only showing a collecter size of 2.5". I also want to see an option for 1.75" primaries. I will probably go with 1 5/8th's, but I have not totally made up my mind in this area.

7. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Hooker super comps are badass in my opinion. My buddy has a set on his 406 in his 68 pro street nova. Big fat tubes with a thick flange. They aren't that great for a 4x4 though.

8. Ryan B.

Ryan B. 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

It was early chevelle big block headers not camaro headers guys were getting to work on their BBC k5's, i found the info on here a while ago doing a search back a few years.
    I have hooker super comp headers on my big block camaro. 2-1/8" primaries. /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif Only issue i've had is i blew the badge off that is spot welded to the drivers side header..
    The two welds busted, and the backpressure blew the super comp badge off the header, smacking the hood and ending up in the middle of the street, and leaving two holes in the header tube... scared the crap outta me, sounded like i broke something serious. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif
    I got hooker comp headers for my k5 and have been happy with them for the last year or two. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/pimp1.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

9. great scott

great scott 1/2 ton status

Just last week I posted up about fitting headers on my big block k5 and started checking with the local exhaust shops. I have not made a move yet but I am going to try the chevel haeders next, but they warned me that those haeders would hit the manual trans linkage, but I have done the hydro convertion so hopefully it will clear.

10. wasted wages

wasted wages 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    They aren't that great for a 4x4 though.

[/ QUOTE ]
    Why do you say that? I've run super comps on my blown big block for over 2 years and never have had a problem or gaket leaks or failure ,,,just askin',,,,

11. rjfguitar

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    They aren't that great for a 4x4 though.

[/ QUOTE ]
    Why do you say that? I've run super comps on my blown big block for over 2 years and never have had a problem or gaket leaks or failure ,,,just askin',,,,

[/ QUOTE ]
    Well it depends what is available for primary tubes and everything. I just meant that the super comps that are on my buddie's 68' nova had monster primaries and are made for upper RPM power. For your motor I would say they work perfect with the amount of outrageous power your probably making. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif I kind of want a set of supercomps too just because those huge primaries look so friggin' badass. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

12. SUBFAN

SUBFAN 1/2 ton status

The ones listed for our rigs only have 1 5/8" primaries and 2 1/2" collecters. While not a huge deal, I was wanting more options, in case I decide to go with 1 3/4 primaries.

I went to the shop up the street, and they have the Comp series for both our rigs and Camaros. This will give me a chance to compare the two, and try and visualize fitment.

The Comps listed, I looked at them, and they have that annoying #1 and #2 primary that runs up high, instead of tucking down nicely. Also irritating is they 'notched' the tube for the header bolt.

I fought a problem like that on my Pontiac motor, and DO NOT WANT TO DO IT AGAIN.

I will have to look around, and see if I can find a set of the Hedman Elites to look at....

$529 for coated Super Comps in this application, probably get a Camaro header cheaper, maybe.

13. dyeager535

I've got the drivers side elite on my truck, and the passenger one off, if you want particular pictures.

14. stallion85

stallion85 1/2 ton status

This might be a dumb question but here goes, when you buy headers are they supposed to be a direct bolt on or would I have to have the exhaust modified? I am also looking into getting headers. Sorry, I am not trying to rob this thread just thought I would post here instead of making a new one!!! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

15. rjfguitar

You will need exhaust mods if you use a full length header. If you buy shorties made for your truck than they should be bolt in.

16. stallion85

stallion85 1/2 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

17. dustinellis

dustinellis Registered Member

i run hooker super comps on my bb blazer,they needed some tweaking but they fit,they are 2" primaries and a 3.5" collector

18. dyeager535

My case I had to cut the downtubes from the manifolds down to where they flatten out near the tranny crossmember.

I then went to Napa and bought a few short extension pieces, and made my own to mate up to what was already there, since it's in good shape. Besides, it's a hassle trying to find anyone to touch my truck around here, and this is cheaper and can be done while the truck is down.

19. yellowK20

yellowK20 Well Lubricated Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I've got 2 sets of truck supercomps for a Big block and love them worth every penny

20. SUBFAN

SUBFAN 1/2 ton status

Thanx, /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif