Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

hookin a 700r4 to np205

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by chevy/cj, May 26, 2002.

1. chevy/cj

chevy/cj Registered Member

I did the search thing but it wouldn't narrow it down enough. I am wanting to put a 700r4 in front of an older np205. I have the t-case, adaptor and drive sleeve but haven't got the tranny yet. Is there anyway to do this without buying an adaptor from someone? Thanks

2. K5BLT4FUN

K5BLT4FUN 1/2 ton status Premium Member

There are a couple of different ways to hook a 700R4 to a NP205. It sounds as if you have everything needed on the transfer case side, but you didn't mention if you have the shifer for the 205. You will need it. As for the transmission side it can be done two way. The first requires a new output shaft from AA. I went this route when I did my change to a 205 because I had the transmission apart for a rebuild and I wanted to keep the drivetrain as short as possible. The second way is to purchase an adaptor that bolts on to the tailhousing between the transmission and the transfer case adaptor. This adaptor is used when you convert from a 700R4 to 350 transmission and should be found at most transmission shops. You do have to trim a small amout off of the output shaft, but not enough to really matter. Hope this helps.
    Layne