Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Hooking into fuse box

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by FL84K5, Jun 10, 2002.

1. FL84K5

FL84K5 1/2 ton status

How do I hook a wire into the fuse box? I need to hook a wire into the Intstruemnt Lamp spot on the fuse box. What type of connector do I put on the wire? Where exactly do I plugit in? Thanks.

2. chvyhs

chvyhs 1/2 ton status

Next to one of the lamp fuses there should be and open spade connector. You can usually find an open one. If not you can splice into one of the wires using a spade connector, just use an inline fuse.

3. FL84K5

FL84K5 1/2 ton status

OK, I got everything for my tach hooked up. The tach works fine until I turn the headlights on, then it dies. I have the light wire hooked into the instrument lamp fuse spot, and the main power wire to the ignition fuse. What is hooked up wrong? Thanks

4. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Should be 4 wires on the tach since it has a light. One is the trigger wire that goes to the tach connection on the dristributor. One that goes to the switched power marked IGN in the fuse box. One goes to ground . one goes to the the dash lights. Connecting at the fuse is not where you want to go. That will be straight power if you went to the fuse marked gages. Where I tagged the dash lights so that it would dim with the rest is the harness for the radio that will be up by the gas peddle. One of the wires in that harness will be for the lights. Best way to find it is with a test light or meter. Prob each wire and turn on the lights and twist the dimmer. when you find it the test light or the meter will go up and down.What I think you did wrong is not hooking up the ground. When you turn on the lights it's probably trying to pull ground through the gage via the tach trigger wire and it cant so it kills the tach.