Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

hooking up a carb

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 84gmcjimmy, Jun 5, 2005.

1. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

Anything I should be aware of? The manual I am borrowing says set the air filter on top for a fire arrester. Do I put all the hoses on, or just the fuel first...Then turn on and turn off. Then the rest, or all the hoses at once? Then Check for leaks and fire up and do whatever else it needs?

2. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

Also, when I was cleaning it I blew out all the carb cleaner, should I spray some on in the internals to keep them lubricated? Or should they be fine?
    If yes, where should I spray it.
    Also, what are the chances it could start on fire when I turn the engine on? Should I have something to put it out with? :confused:

3. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

I re-read it, and it says to fire it up (im guessing only attaching the fuel line) then shutting it off. Cheaking for leaks. Then attach vacuum and intake lines?
    Anyone please help I need to get this done soon!

4. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

never put a carb on without hooking up everything, you will have vacuum leaks galore and will be hard to start. as long as you are putting it on and not letting it sit, theres no need to spray anything inside.

as long as you have the timing set correctly, rarely will it back fire.

5. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

I know nothing about the timing. Would it have changed when I took the carb off, and rebuilt the carb? I doubt it, but I mind as well as for peace of mind...
    Okay I will hook up everything. I must have mis-read it...or else I'm confused on what the book says...

6. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

After I hook it up...can I start the engine? After I start it, do I shut it off to check for leaks.
    After I check for leaks (and if there isn't any) am I good to go. Then I have to fiddle with the idle screws, what else?

7. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

fill the bowl first if possible...

It will start much faster and with less threat of backfire if you fill the carbs float bowl first--there is a tube or hole next to the air cleaner stud you can pour the gas into,using a small bottle or similar device..it holds only a few ounces,it wont take much...just put some in SLOWLY,so you dont pour it right down the intake,and work the throttle by hand a few times--if gas squirts out of the accelerator pump jets into the "barrels",its ready to fire up!..good luck! :crazy:

8. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

Bob, so when I fill the float bowl, I use the move the throttle a couple times, then I can start it?

TJ, i bent the rod, but now when I move the throttle, the rod that goes though the seconary throttle shaft, hands up on the lever. Is that supose to happen? This is what it looks like:
    [​IMG]

9. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

So far it looks I won't be testing it out until some day after school or next week.
    I have homework and studying to do. And it's 3:30 already... :crazy:

10. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

You didn't ask me, but the linkage you show should stay like that until you kick the throttle down once the choke opens up.

If you fiddle with the choke linkage as you hold the carb level as it sits on the engine, you should see that dog leg lever drop down and out of engagement with that pin.

11. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

So it is right in the picture then? I'll put it on tonight then.
    Just because I didn't ask you, it doesn't mean I wouldn't have asked you. I thought TJ was on, so I asked him ;)

Can someone confirm what I said in reponse to Bob's reply?

12. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

I guess I can wait till monday or whenever. Started raining outside and not too motivated to finish tonight. Until I find out my answers...
    Thanks.

13. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

yea that is how it is suppose to work, it will allow it to open up once it warms up and the choke disenguages it. i would have been on, but i had some fun, i posted in the lounge about it :blush:

14. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

Alright I am pretty sure I see the hole, I think I see the float. So I just poor a little bit in, then when it looks full I can throttle it by hand to get gas to squirt?
    Thanks

15. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

TTT anyone know if I am right about pouring the gas into the float bowl?

16. 3 on the tree

3 on the tree 1/2 ton status

If you spill any gas filling the bowl, clean it up before trying to start the engine. One good backfire and you could have a nice little fire going from the spilled gas. If in doubt about filling the float bowl, just put a piece of fuel hose on the fuel inlet to the carb, stick a funnel on the end of it, and pour gas SLOWLY into it. When its full, hook the fuel line back up and fire it up.

17. PhoenixZorn

PhoenixZorn 1/2 ton status

Steve... just follow the instructions given... hook up the carb, fill the float, work the throttle by hand 2 or 3 times, and then go start it without pumping the pedal.... it SHOULD fire right up if you did everything right... it will likely idle very smooth for you unless you have a vacuum line open... on the back of the q-jet, there is a 1/4 inch threaded hole that either needs to be connected to your tranny or plugged with a 1/4 inch plug if you have a manual... I didn't know what that was before I put my q-jet in, and it would fire up and run close to 5000 without any gas before I was able to shut it back off...

I plugged the hole, eliminating the HUGE vaccuum leak, and everything was smooth until the "incident"

18. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

If you are *really* worried about it, you can just let the starter prime the system as well.

It will take some time, and pouring gas in the carb will alleviate that, but you don't HAVE to pour gas in it. That's why the epoxied well plug "mod" is so popular.

19. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

Alright I will just pour a little bit in.
    Thanks.