Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Hooking up a DVD player?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Fubeca, Aug 15, 2005.

1. Fubeca

Fubeca 1/2 ton status

Stupid question - I just bought a dvd player to put with our old TV but the TV only has the screw-on type connector.

I have one of those old-school video game switches that have an RCA video input and a screw-on type output (like this http://www.radioshack.com/product.asp?catalog_name=CTLG&product_id=15-1268)

The audio from the dvd goes into an amplifier not the TV so will the game switch work to connect the video from the DVD to the TV - I'm not super concerned with the video quality - just whether or not it will work? :confused:

2. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

needs an adapter...

I have the same dilema!--a brand new DVD player I got for Xmas,still sits in its box unused--because my TV set is 20 years old! :crazy:

I've been dying to watch a few DVD's I got since--I went to Wal-Mart and Radio Shack,and asked how I could hook up the DVD player --I assumed you could use the "Audio in" and Video in" jacks on my VCR to tap it onto the TV--but they said NO!!,it wont work,and might harm the DVD player!--you need this adapter dewhickey!!...

It costs about 25 bucks,and they told me the picture quality will not be that great! :doah: :surepal: --so why spend 25 bucks +tax for it--when Wal-Mart sells DVD ready TV's for as low as 60 or 70 bucks??--I'm saving up for a new tv set--with my luck I'd pay 25 bucks for the adaptor,and the TV will croak a few days later,if not during the first DVD I'm watching!... :screwy:

:surepal: :doah: :mad1: :crazy:

3. Fubeca

Fubeca 1/2 ton status

Yeah, I don't want to spend $29 on an RF modulator since I don't need the audio (and I can get a tv on craigslist for $30 with a/v inputs). I'm just wondering if this little cheapo unit will work for the video for now.

4. Roz

Roz 1/2 ton status

if im understandin u right u want to know if ure RCA input will work on coax? or is it go in to the module and it then has a different output out that matches ures on t.v.

well the low down it RCA if a different freq and impedance then coax. so without converter it will have lines running through screen and look a bit crappy. if the module has one going in then different out then it would had to been converted so it would be ok.

is that confusing enough for u? sorry, thats why im not a teacher :(

5. Fubeca

Fubeca 1/2 ton status

The video-game switch has an RCA input and a 75ohm antenna input and a 75ohm output for the TV. My understanding is that if the switch is on the TV side the signal from the antenna (cable) goes right to the TV and when the switch is on the game side the video from the game system goes to the tv through the 75ohm antenna connector.

I want to know if there is anything different with the dvd player that would make it not work?

6. RingMaster4x4

RingMaster4x4 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I have hooked up lots of DVD players through the VCR. why will it not work that is what the audio in and video in it for. what VCR do you have?

7. Fubeca

Fubeca 1/2 ton status

It is a magnavox about 5 years old. It works fine for a minute then the picture gets black and starts to scroll then it goes back to normal and repeats. I've tried two different DVD players. I read somewhere that the newer DVD players have some kind of anti copy something that makes the picture screw up when it goes through a VCR.

I'm basically clueless at this point?

8. RingMaster4x4

RingMaster4x4 1/2 ton status Premium Member

huh that is a new one on me. :dunno:

9. Fubeca

Fubeca 1/2 ton status

Not my VCR but from a sanyo site:

This is the problem I'm having.

10. Cmoe

Cmoe 1/2 ton status

Some DVD's would played thru my VCR and some wouldn't.

11. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

I know not everybody wants too spend more money, but think new "widescreen" TV. Heck, my 57" was only $1,700.00 . :rolleyes:

12. Fubeca

Fubeca 1/2 ton status

Maybe when I get the basement theater done :laugh:

Meanwhile I just bought a $20 RF modulator.

13. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

I'd look into one of those projector TV's. Mount it over head and far back enough, the whole wall becomes the screen. Had one about 10 years ago, old bar TV (Bar closed and I got a heck of a deal for $50.00 . One side of the audio didn't work, but who cares with a deal like that.). Came with 75" screen, but plain white wall worked good for me.