Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

hooking up a hall effect sensor to a factory speedo

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 1990 tbi jimmy, May 1, 2007.

1. 1990 tbi jimmy

1990 tbi jimmy Registered Member

does anybody have a wiring diagram to use a hall effect sensor to trigger a factory electronic speedo?

1990 Jimmy (now carb'ed)
    sm-465
    Np-208
    4" suspension lift
    35's

2. Russell

Russell LB7 Tahoe Status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Probally easiest to just convert to a mechanical speedo and be done with it...

3. 1990 tbi jimmy

1990 tbi jimmy Registered Member

I still have the np 241 and there is no way I know of to use a cable with that T-case and would like to swap back sometime. as for now I purchased the vdo hall effect sensor and would like to find some info on hooking it up... It has three wires and the factory plug has two... the vdo site sucks

JW

4. Russell

Russell LB7 Tahoe Status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I have a cable tailhousing for an NP241 that I will not being using, I need the 40 tooth reluctor ring tailhousing I have for my LS1 / electric speedo, my T-case just happened to have the cable drive on it when I bought it. PM me if you want it...

And as far as the hall effect sensor goes -- I'm not entirely sure thats the correct style of sensor for your factory electric speedo setup. They used a 40 tooth reluctor ring, which produces voltages from like .5 to 150 some volts depending on how fast the reluctor ring is spinning.

A hall effect sensor makes more of a direct current square wave signal, which would be useful for a cam or crank sensor, but not so much for a speed signal... If you built the proper converter for it, you could use it, but it'd be far easier to just slap a reluctor ring back in there, and use a factory sensor / DRAC setup instead.