Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Hooking up the winch to a remote battery.

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Sandman, Dec 11, 2002.

1. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

I am getting ready to move the batteries to the back and was wondering who had done this and what solution have you found for connecting the winch? I dont want to run long cables all over but I do not see much in the way for alternatives. Thanks.

2. txbartman

txbartman 1/2 ton status

Running a long battery cable to the rear of your rig for a front mounted winch is a major bad thing. You will need some seriously beefy cables (2/0, 4/0) to support the amperage draw across that kind of distance. You really want your cables as short as possible.

Let's take a standard 9500i winch. At 6,000lbs, it will draw around 300A. To go 10 feet of cable, you would need roughly 3/0 guage cable (not 3 guage mind you).

Knowing your winches amp draw, use this wire length wizard to determine what size wire you will need. I would HIGHLY recommend you keep your winching battery as close to the winch as possible.

3. Sandman

Interesting. I like that slide chart. Yet, I know it has been done with success. Look at the ORD Blazer. Anybody know what Steve has done? I'll post in his forum and ask him.

4. 79Beast

79Beast 1/2 ton status

I agree with the chart. I would recommend using a large guage ground straight to the frame. Then go to a welding supply store and buy some 4/0 to run your positive wire. Make sure to get some HD split loom or something to add another layer to protect this wire. Also, you don't have to run 2 separate wires to the front. Make a terminal block so that the 4/0 can also run your starter and accessories as well as continue on to the the winch. Ground everything to the frame.

5. Sandman

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    Make a terminal block so that the 4/0 can also run your starter and accessories as well as continue on to the the winch.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good Idea.

6. u2slow

u2slow 1/2 ton status

Most boats have nice beefy battery switches. Some may have more settings/options than others.

If you need something truly custom, invest in some continuous-duty solenoids (or a contacter), and rig up some push-buttons. Then you can minimize on the total amount of cable you're running from one end of the truck to the other.

7. Sandman

I was thinking solid state relay's myself.

8. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    Make a terminal block so that the 4/0 can also run your starter and accessories as well as continue on to the winch.

[/ QUOTE ]
    This is exactly what I did. The CUCVs came with a really nice, HD, insulated terminal block. I ran 2/0 with crimped and soldered copper lugs on each end between the battery (+) and the main distribution block. The battery uses solid brass marine terminals so the lugs attach with a wing-nut. Then the starter, alternator, and any other high-amp circuit ties directly to the distribution block where each can be disconnected separately by loosening a nut.

9. Sandman

They did hugh? I'll have to keep my eyes open. Thanks for the info. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

10. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

They're on the firewall, near the heater motor. If you get a radio truch it will also have some nice heavy cable, not big enough for what you want to do but still heavy duty.

11. Sandman

Now I have to figure out where to get one. Any Ideas?

12. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

Keep in mind that your alternator power will be run through very short leads to the winch so you'll have 100 amps or so that don't go very far under big winch power. My junction block (piece of plastic with some bolt holes) is about 3 inches from the alternator so there's basically no loss from there to the winch.
    I'm not sure what kind of voltage drop the Wrangler calculator uses for figuring those line sizes but it must not be very much. I'm running about 10 feet of #1 to the junc. block and have had no problems with it. I remember figuring the drop and wanting a little more size but it works.

Following the Wrangler chart exactly will give you a nice wire size but don't take it as an absolute, I'd shoot for somewhere between what they say and my system.

13. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

Where are you placing the physical batteries? I've been thinking about doing this too, but haven't found a compelling reason to move them yet.