Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Hooking up trailer brake controller, quick question

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 88sub4x4, Apr 23, 2005.

1. 88sub4x4

88sub4x4 1/2 ton status

I am hooking up my trailer brake controller in my 2000 3500 Chevy. It's the old K series body style. Where has anyone spliced into the brake light, brake switch circuit? I looked under the dash, but the brake lamp switch and it's respective wiring is not easily accessible. Has anyone spliced into the wiring for the brake lamp relay? Anywhere else? Thanks for your suggestions in advance.

2. DieselTech

DieselTech Newbie

as long as it is a pos signal from the brake light circut it should work no matter were you splice it in.

3. Fubeca

Fubeca 1/2 ton status

I know this doesn't answer your question but most controller manufacturers make plug in harnesses for newer trucks so you don't have to mess with the factory wiring. Have you checked into that?

4. jk5blazer

jk5blazer 1/2 ton status

I have a 2004 chevy and as Fubeca said, my truck has a box just under the
    brake pedal. The factory should be able to give you a pig tail that just plugs in to the box, and the other end to the trailer brake controller. Once again this is a 2004 model, so not sure if they had that junction box on your year. But if its there it saves you alot of time. It was only like $30.00 too. Hope this helps, and if not I just wasted thirty seconds of both our lives... :D

5. Stomper

Stomper ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ GMOTM Winner

yep, like some of the other have said, get the correct pig tail wires....I installed mine last week in 10 minutes...(2000 chevy 3/4t)

6. Stomper

Stomper ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ GMOTM Winner

Also look in your glove box.....There is a factory pigtail in there that you can use.

7. 88sub4x4

88sub4x4 1/2 ton status

The earlier K series trucks were not equipped with the plug-and-play harnesses. Only the newer silverado style trucks have them. I have decided to just drop the column down, and hook right up to the brake light switch. Thanks for everyones replies.