Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Hope you don't mind Steve, but I just sent this to GM

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Muley, Mar 10, 2004.

1. Muley

Muley 1/2 ton status

Hope you don\'t mind Steve, but I just sent this to GM

[ QUOTE ]
    A few months ago I became aware of a press release the GM put out concerning the Duramax/Alison combo being put into the Suburban. I heard rumors that this was going to happen and I quickly began making arrangements to be able to purchase one when they came out.

So it saddens me to recently learn that GM is no longer pursuing this avenue. I live in the greater Salt Lake City, UT area. I think it is safe to say that 80% of the Ford Excursions that are on the road here are equipped with their Power Stroke Diesel. So I think the market is there for the Duramax to be in the Suburban. With the rising cost of gas these days, I think it would be a huge mistake to not produce the Duramax Powered Suburban.

Since I bought my first vehicle, I have always had a GM vehicle in my garage for the last 10 years. Not to bad for being only 27. I have owned a69 Chevy Impala, 83 GMC Jimmy, 93 Buick Regal, 79 GMC pick up, 83 Olds Cutlass Ciera (diesel), 00 Pontiac Montana, 85 Chevy K5 Blazer, and now an 86 GMC Suburban. So at this time I am forced to pursue the avenue of transplanting a diesel into my 86 Suburban.

Now I know my one letter may not cause any drastic changes, but I know a lot of different people who would love to see this combo come production. Don’t believe me, just post up on coloradoK5.com. There are a lot of guys out there that have expressed interest. As well talk with any other Four Wheel Drive Magazine. I am sure you will more positive feed back on this product than you can read. Personally I hate the thought of buying a Ford Excursion just to get a SUV that will seat 8 or 9 that is a diesel. Please help me avoid being a Ford owner.

Sincerely,
    James Skinner

[/ QUOTE ]

Doubt anything will come of it, but it doesn't hurt to try. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

2. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

Re: Hope you don\'t mind Steve, but I just sent this to GM

i like the letter /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif maybe they will put one in /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif

did you know ford is stopping the production of the excursion? /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

3. Muley

Muley 1/2 ton status

Ford has been planning that for a while. Hasn't happened yet. I think they still sell to many of them.

I got a reponse back from GM. They basically tried to give me a sales pitch on why I should by a Suburban. Not once in the e-mail did they address my concerns. Must have been some default auto-reply message. Kind of like the one your get when you e-mail a Senator. They just blow you off and try to make you feel better about yourself.

Anyone work for GM, or know the right someone we could get incontact with? I think if GM did some real market reasearch, I think they would find that there is a demand for a diesel Suburban. Hell, I was all set to pull all the equity out of my house to get one. I know not very smart, buy these gas prices are killing me.

4. Capman2k

Capman2k 3/4 ton status

You could bust up into GM's headquarters and don't leave until they let you talk to Gen. Motors himself... /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

5. CK5

CK5 In my underwear Administrator Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

/forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif I would love to have a Duramax in a Sub.

6. Muley

Muley 1/2 ton status

How about Mr. Goodwrench himself?

I love those commercials. "So, what kind of tool would Mr. Goodwrench be." "Ummm..a wrench" " No, sorry, the answer we were looking for is mitre saw". /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

7. NITRO

NITRO 1/2 ton status

well...I wish you would have posted this up over the weekend. My uncle is the head engineer at GM for all of GM's engine blocks and something else to do with their powertrain division and he was here this past weekend. I've talked to him before about trying to get a straigh axle vehicle. He said he didnt see that very feasable right not because of the costs/time that has already been invested in the IFS. And the "smoother ride" accomplished. I have showed him this site a few times and showed him a post on here about ppl complaining about not have a SFA truck. I'll send this post to him and see what he says. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

NITRO

8. Muley

Muley 1/2 ton status

Thanks Nitro, I actually just sent it tonight. I finally got around to getting something drafted up and then I finally found where to send it to. I think it would be great to send him this post. Let me know what he comes back with. I just know those deisel Sub's would sell like hotcakes.

9. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

The main problem is that the folks at GM don't give a rats a$$ what kind of "used" vehicle people would like to be able to buy. Their focus is on people that buy NEW vehicles and then trade them in every 1-3 years. That is what makes money for GM. They NEED to sell a LOT of new vehicles every year. They don't make a plug nickel when someone buys a used GM vehicle a few years old. If your letter would have mentioned that you buy new vehicles and turn them over frequently then it would have carried a lot more weight. But you can bet your last dollar that no one at GM cares that you ever owned most of the vehicles you listed, simply because they are obviously too old for you to have purchased them new in the last 10 year period that you mentioned. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

10. Muley

Muley 1/2 ton status

Never thought of that. Just trying ot show them the GM Loyalty aspect. Maybe it is time to write another letter under a different pen name.

Still doesn't take away from the fact the Ford is mathcing in the large diesel SUV market.

11. Muley

Muley 1/2 ton status

Actually if they would make hte vehilces a litle more affordable, then maybe I could buy new vehicles every three years.

12. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

I have and will only own SUV's
    blazer
    cherokee
    willys
    burban

I would love a DM burb
    /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif

13. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

They did offer the Suburban a few years back with the 6.5 turbo diesel. I have only seen a few of them. Looks to Me like they didn't sell very good so maybe GM does't want to go down that road again.

14. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

new jek-approved K5:

duramax desiel, allison auto, hummer tcase, D60 front and rear, sized between the original bronco and the fullsize Blazer, removable hardtop, good approach/departure angles...

sigh, if only I could run GM for a day... lol! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

j

15. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Hmm...

new jek-approved K5:

duramax diesel

Good /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

allison auto

Eh, can't have everything, but I suppose if it must be auto, not a bad choice

hummer tcase

SLIP YOKE?? Screw that!

D60 front

good /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

and rear

Far too small for the torque of that Diesel

sized between the original bronco and the fullsize Blazer,
    removable hardtop, good approach/departure angles...

sigh, if only I could run GM for a day... lol!

Good on the features.

Looks as if you ran GM for a day we'd have not so wonderful of a vehicle with an underengineered rear axle and a slip yoke transfer case.

How about the same vehicle with an NV5600 and NP 205, and that awesome new 11.5" 14 bolt with discs from the factory, then you've got a winner. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

16. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

With factory A/C, cruise, power everything, and factory aluminum beadlock wheels. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

17. o2bjimmy

o2bjimmy 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]

Anyone work for GM, or know the right someone we could get incontact with?

[/ QUOTE ]

This is way off topic but..... My great great grandfather helped Henry Ford get his first vehicle running. He was also along when Ford started the production line. He was mostly a no-name guy but we have found his name in 1 article. I know it was for Ford, but Ive got letters and memmos about all this and think it is pretty cool to have something like that in my family history. If there is genuine interest in this I can get the letters and post them here.

18. ramjet gmc

ramjet gmc CK5 Staff Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

[ QUOTE ]
    /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif I would love to have a Duramax in a Sub.

[/ QUOTE ]

me to but thats is why i now have a fo#d X powerstroke /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

19. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    With factory A/C, cruise, power everything, and factory aluminum beadlock wheels. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Eh, that's all extra crap.

Not exactly sure why you guys would want a 320 HP Diesel in a rig that is not long enough to really tow much of anything, although it'd be great for fuel efficiency.

20. wayne

wayne 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Eh, that's all extra crap.

Not exactly sure why you guys would want a 320 HP Diesel in a rig that is not long enough to really tow much of anything, although it'd be great for fuel efficiency.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not long enough??? Outside of a goose neck a Burb will tow better then a pick up unless it is dual wheel. The Burb's whole design was to be a tow rig.