Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Hoppin' Transfer Case! Help A.S.A.P.

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by PsychoticDeadGuy, Oct 30, 2005.

1. PsychoticDeadGuy

PsychoticDeadGuy 1/2 ton status

Well, I took out the K5 for the first real wheelin' trip today to test out the suspension and see how everything works out. It all started good, got some real good flex out of it and then decided to try some really soft loose gravel. Then this weird loud banging noise started happening when i had no traction and in 4hi. put it in 2hi and 4lo and it still made the sound. i got out and had a friend drive it and the rear end isnt hopping but the t-case bounces up and down real violently. on the street it does it slightly but not too bad. what would cause this and what do i need to fix it? i was thinking i would need to replace the 18 year old tranny rubber mount...do they make poly ones? am i even on the right track?

(i will post some pics of my big scary stuck if i can figure out how to get the pics off my phone to my computer, i cant send pics at all.)

2. PsychoticDeadGuy

help, please...

3. koldsimer

koldsimer 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Transfer case mounts would be the first thing I would check. Are the bolts tight? Are the mounts obviously messed up? I would also check the bolts that secure the case against the adapter, and the adapter to tranny bolts. Crossmember bolts also. There was a thread recently about this exact issue and there are all kinds of good suggestions as to what the problem could be.

4. PsychoticDeadGuy

i looked over everything...it all seems fine...i will tear into it tomorrow i guess. i hope it is just the rubber mount....or something small....oh, i just found that other thread you were talking about too.

5. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

The tranny mount is probably shot and needs to be replaced. Also check the bolts for the xmember and also the bolts for the adapter on the tranny and tcase. Those are the likely problems.

The tcase itself doesn't have an actual mount. The tranny and tcase share a mount. A bad mount would let your tranny and tcase do what you described. Also you might want to check your motor mounts too. If that tranny mount is bad the motor mounts have been moving alot too and might need some replacments.

As far as I have ever seen they do not offer a poly tranny/tcase mount for 87's. I looked for one for my 85 and they didn't make one. Also keep in mind that if you did find a poly mount for your tcase then you would also want to install poly motor mounts so that they won't flex differently and possibly cause problems.

Harley

6. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

P.S. If the mount is good then you may have stripped the 2 bolts that hold the mount to the tcase adapter. I did that on my truck once. Or the bolts may just be loose or missing.

Harley

7. Leper

Leper 1/2 ton status

Do you have a slip yoke? If so, IMO, you are screwed. I have been trying to fix that same thing. Ordered a SYE. I have replaced all motor mounts, tcase mount , lengthened the dshaft, changed pinion angles 4 times.......still does it.
    link to tcase hitting the floor thread

8. guido666

guido666 1/2 ton status

9. 81jimmyslt

81jimmyslt 1/2 ton status

Exactly whats wrong with mine, thats what I hope is giving me all the grinding noise when I brake hard, so much slop under there. When I get under there and pry on the mount and crossmember the lower two bolts are stripped like hossbaby mentioned. Not to mention I bet my motor mounts are toast too.

I noticed www.offroaddesign.com sells some ice tcase mounts.

Jesse