Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Hopping up a 350 TBI

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by MudFlap, Nov 10, 2003.

1. MudFlap

MudFlap 1/2 ton status

I have searched for hours, but I could really find what I wanted.

I have a 89 Blazer with the stock motor. Right now I have just exhaust manifolds and open pipes, but I will be putting in headers and building the rest of the exhaust system. I also have a K&N filter.

I will be building a motor in a few years for the truck, probably a 383 or just building a better 350, but for now, what should I do to hop up my truck, it would also be good if anything that I do to the engine now I could also keep for the engine when I build it.

I was thinking cam and intake, what cam and intake should I buy? Also will I need to do stuff to the TBI, if so what do I need to do?

It would also be good if I didn't do anything that would make me have to get a custom burnt chip, because I know that I will be getting one when I build the motor down the road.

Thanks

Trey

2. Bullet

Bullet 1/2 ton status

Edelbrock makes a cam and intake kit for the TBI set up, i ran that and I Hypertech chip that you can pick up at any outfitting store. If you want to add even more you can do the TBI to MPFI conversion that replaces the manifold and TBI; then only stock piece left is the throttle body, stripped of its injectors. It will give you some decent HP gains. AND if you do the conversion you get a chip that plugs into your ECM.

3. MEPR

MEPR 1/2 ton status

As far as intakes, theres a cheap factory secret there. Try to track down an old mariene intake, they are factory highrises that usually dont cost much more than $50-$75, that should give you a bit more cash for that 383, while getting a bit more oomph out of the 350

4. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

I think intake and cam are a good way to go after headers and exhaust. Don't go to big on the cam. Call a bunch of cam manufactures and ask them what cam you should run. You can also swap on a 454 throttle body that has bigger bores and will flow more air.

http://members.shaw.ca/betterthanyou/28to43/28to43.htm

5. Ryan B.

Ryan B. 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Just add boost or juice. /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

6. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

If you plan on running a larger motor, or one that you might turn a bit higher, an intake now is kind of pointless. (as is a cam, etc)

If you are going to build a motor from scratch, get some heads to match a better intake. AFR's, Pro-toplines, Vortecs, ANYTHING with a better design than the stock heads. There is a LOT of power to be had in the heads.

Since the heads and intake will make such a large difference, burning a new chip (or 5 to get it right) is going to be a necessity, but doing things the right way the first time is cheaper in the long run. Unless you can find some cheap used parts now.

Better to save up the money now for better parts later, instead of spending money on parts you won't use on the next motor. Headers are a good start.

My opinion,

7. burbBoy

burbBoy 1/2 ton status

Go to www.tbichips.com This guy helped me out a bunch on my daily driver. Click on TBI mods and there is a ton of info there.

8. Hardcore

Hardcore 1/2 ton status

Crane Cam #114122 /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Edlebrock TBI intake and 454 or TurboCity TB

If you want more get a set of World S/R torquers

PM Thunder, he is the /forums/images/graemlins/pimp1.gif daddy when it comes to TBI upgrades. He's helped me out a lot.

Corey /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

9. MudFlap

MudFlap 1/2 ton status

For now if I was to put on a set of heads, cam, intake, new throttle body, and get a chip burned, I could use all of that stuff again, when I build my motor except for the chip, right? Even if I go to a 383 can I still use everything?

Will I need to get a custom chip burned?

Is this a good idea, to do that now, or is there any reason why I should wait to do some of the things mentioned above?

If I was to get a set of Vortec heads (or any other head that yall recommend), a good cam and intake, a 454 throttle body and a chip burned, how much horsepower could I expect?

Thanks,

Trey

10. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Yes all that stuff could be used on a new motor, even a 383. The bigger motor would respond better to the improved parts as well.

STILL going to need a chip burned for optimum performance. Go look at thirdgen.org and read up on it. Believe the article by "traxxion" is the one you want. Basically, for the cost of having a chip or two burned, you can get all the equipment you need to make them yourself, short of a laptop.

Only reason to wait is money. If you can afford to get them now, great. Of course, as soon as you buy something, you'll find a great deal.:)

I would *speculate* that a motor as you describe would probably be in the 300HP range. Of course, there are a lot of variables, so thats a WAG. Torque is arguably more important when building a truck engine, but it really depends on what you want to do with the truck.

11. 99firehawk

99firehawk 1/2 ton status

Whats your budget for the 350 hop up?

12. MudFlap

MudFlap 1/2 ton status

You replied to the other guy, but I assume that you were asking me. I really don't have a budget. I'll spend whatever I have to spend to do it right. I was planning to just doing a little now and then going into it more whenever I rebuild the motor, but now I am thinking that I am just gonna do all that I can now without taking the motor out and then I won't have to spend as much when I build it. I would be willing to spend up to $2,000 or $3,000 now. I think that in that range I can get a motor that will give me all the power that I want to have right now.

I was thinking about...

1000 to 1200-heads
    400-cam and intake
    400-custom chip
    plus whatever the throttle body will cost

Am I about right on my numbers?

Thanks

Trey

13. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

You can get your lower end rebuilt and afford good heads and a chip within the $3k budget i'd bet!!

14. MudFlap

MudFlap 1/2 ton status

I am going to get my lower end built, but I am not going to do it now. I have done so much work to the truck and have still not wheeled it, so I want to wheel it for a while before I take the motor out.

What do you mean by "afford good heads"? Is the $1200 that I allowed for heads not enough?

TRey

15. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

That's plenty is what I'm saying. You could probably build yourself a bad ass motor for $3k. Freshen the bottom end with a turned crank, resized rods with good bolts, some good new pistons, new bearings/rings/gaskets and a new cam suited to a truck and a GOOD BALANCE JOB. Then add good heads to that and I bet you're WELL within your $3k budget and you'd have an awesome motor that put out 275-300 HP and ran at any angle or upside down and still would crawl through anything. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

16. 99firehawk

99firehawk 1/2 ton status

http://www.sdpc2000.com/cart.asp?action=catalog_start&catid=2172

SD8060TBIH Vortec Head Kit, TBI Intake, Headers $949.95
    or
    SD8060ATBIH Upgraded Vortec Head Kit, TBI Intake, Headers $1,059.95

http://www.sdpc2000.com/cart.asp?action=prod_detail&catid=3189&pid=130007

http://www.jegs.com/cgi-bin/ncommerce3/ProductDisplay?prrfnbr=2398&prmenbr=361
    249-CL12-235-2 Grind: 254
    Duration: 210°/218°
    Lift: .447''/.462'' $169.99

http://store.summitracing.com/default.asp?target=search.asp&type=bykeyword&searchtype=both&part=holley+tbi

http://www.tbichips.com/catalog/Default.htm

theses should get ya started.

gears probaly wouldnt hurt either but, I shouldnt be telling someone else to do it when Im still runnin my 3:08s with my 35s

good luck
    HLY-502-6 Chevrolet/GMC: 1987-89 5.7L trucks, 670 cfm 2 barrel TBI model 3210 replacement TBI 11-22 $339.95

17. SUBFAN

SUBFAN 1/2 ton status

Is the intake centerline of 110* suitable for the TBI? I thought we needed at least 112*????

What is the difference between the '89 and '90 model years of TBI? Why does the Holley replacement say 'to '89'....

Just curious, sorry about the slight hijack....

18. MudFlap

MudFlap 1/2 ton status

Thanks guys

19. Wally81k5

Wally81k5 1/2 ton status

I had a 90 with 350 tbi, i blew the motor so the rebuild had flat tops, rv cam, throttle body spacer, underdrive pulleys and single 3" flowmaster.

It have tons!!!! of nuts.

20. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    Is the intake centerline of 110* suitable for the TBI? I thought we needed at least 112*????

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know that as fact, but I'd say that's probably a good idea. I'd imagine that a narrower LSA could cause the MAP sensor to go nuts. I'm sure there are ways around this, but for a fairly stock build like yours, I'd just go with a more computer-friendly cam.