Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

horn blows when turning

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by moose73, Apr 12, 2003.

1. moose73

moose73 Registered Member

when turning the the horn will blow and can here arc under the dash, any suggestions on a fix,not very knowledgeable on electrical

2. Ryan B.

Ryan B. 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Hahahaha! NICE!

That happened for a while in my dad's truck, it would just start honking for no reason.... People would look and we'd just wave at them and smile. HAHAHA! /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

I'll bet it's shorting out in the steering column somewhere. If you take off the horn button or the cap on the steering wheel it's probally arc-ing and shorting to ground somewhere in there. Theres a spring that's supposed to hold the cap up so it wont honk until you push on it.
    You can disconnect the horn relay or the wire to the horn to get it to stop honking for a short term fix, but you might have to take off the steering wheel with a puller to be able to track down where the wire is shorting out. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. amm888

amm888 1/2 ton status

i once had a honking problem in my camry - got mad, punched the steering wheel, and the horn sounded nonstop - i just pulled the wires off the horn mechanism under the hood - just to get it to stop. might want to do that till you actually fix it.

4. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

I had the same problem when I replaced the steering wheel. My fix, relocated the horn button. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

Theres a metal cup under the center section of the steering wheel. When it makes contact it shorts a circut and makes the horn blow. I've been there.
    Pull the steering wheel cap up and loosen the screws holding the metal cup. Perminate fix jam something under it and leave it. My fix was cutting the horn wires till I replaced the steering wheel with a smaller grant wheel. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

It probely just too tight, i think theres supposed to be a piece plastic under it to act like a spring, if it breaks or gets tighted to much it makes contact (esp when turning) and after a while it stay on (thats when I cut the wires to the horns). /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

hahah sorry..i know that doesnt help but that is funny!! /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif