Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

horn contatc question (w/ pic)

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by TX Mudder, May 22, 2002.

1. TX Mudder

TX Mudder 1/2 ton status

http://users3.ev1.net/~mattell/pics/horn2.jpg
    In the two pics above, you can see my steering wheel with the horn cap off. On the pic on the top, you can see the cyclindrical horn contact at right about directly above the steering wheel nut.
    On the pic on the bottom, you can see (in the box I made) the horn contact for the cap.
    What I need to do is make these two things touch. I fixed the rest of the horn system, this is the last thing I need to do to have the horn working.
    Is there a wire or special clip that is supposed to go here? I though about buying a horn contact kit that is longer, but I'm not sure if that is the best thing to do.
    -- Mike
    p.s. In case I didn't make it clear, the horn contact on both the horn button and on the column line up fine - they just don't touch. They have to touch all the time. When you press the horn button itself, it makes contact within the horn cap and completes the circuit. But these two contact in the pics should touch all the time.
    -- Mike

2. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

I know there is clip with a wire on it that clips to the horn (you can see the tab on the horn it clips to) but I can't remember if the wire is attached to the "plunger" in the column shown in that pic, or how it is routed.

If you have access to any wrecking yards, check out most any GM cars, maybe even the S-10's of the same vintage, believe they almost universally used that wire to the horn "cap".

3. KBK5

KBK5 Registered Member

You may have the "rod" in your first pic worn down to where the spring is not able to let it touch on the ring. If so, put a .22 hull on the end of the rod so it will make it longer and let the spring touch the contact. Cheap fix. If a .22 hull is not big enough, try a .25 or whatever.

4. JIM88K5

JIM88K5 1/2 ton status

pn 9769448. Yellow wire about 4-5 in long with a copper spring & a black plastic sleeve. That part number should still be good. Go say hi to your GM parts guy.
    Jim