Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

HORN FUSE?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by CHEVY 4WD, Mar 27, 2003.

1. CHEVY 4WD

CHEVY 4WD 1/2 ton status

Well its labled horn on the fuse box I cant figure why I cant get it to keep from blowing I blows as soon as it gets power and my radio tach and domelight dont work I think it must be shorted out but dont know where. Is there a easy fix? I dont even know about the hard fix really except for look at EVERY wire in the truck. /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

2. jberg62

jberg62 1/2 ton status

I hate to tell you this but there really is no easy fix for this.
    I'm pretty certain that you've diagnosed your problem quite well...a wire within the horn,radio, tach and interiorlight circuit is bare and shorting out on bare metal somewhere along the line.
    What have you been messing wioth recently?
    Radio?
    Well, whatever...you've gotta start tracing the wires from those particular circuits until you come across a wire which is cut or exposed and touching bare metal and shorting (blowing a fuse) every time power is applyed to it.
    Sorry I couldn't be any more explicit.
    A pain in the a$$ but it's basically the only way that you're gonna find the prob.
    Good luck in your hunt.

3. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Other post is right, you've got it narrowed down to the circuits fed by that fuse, now you've got to figure out where on THOSE wires.

One biggie is the switches for the lights in the door frame. Those tend to rust out, and can easily cause problems. Not hard to check, just pull them out. Can't hurt anything.

4. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

a short in the cig lighter will cause it too

5. 83ZZ502_Jimmy

83ZZ502_Jimmy 1/2 ton status

I had the cigaratte lighter short out in my '87 and it almost caused a fire. It burned up and smelled terrible. I can still smell it 6 months later.

Same problems you are experiencing. If not for my little brother seeing the arc in the lighter I think I'd still be diagnosing it. Unplug it and give it a try.

Also, keep us posted on how it turns out. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

John /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

6. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

The horn button goes to ground when pressed. Have you done any work on the colum? It's easy to pinch the wires. Also could be a broken horn button.