Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Horn problems/relay?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by cochino12, Jul 24, 2004.

1. cochino12

cochino12 1/2 ton status

I cant seem to get my horn to work. The green wire going to the horns has power constant as well as the wire under the horn button on the steering wheel. I dont think that the wire should have constant power under the hood. I checked my chilton and it shows a horn relay in the wiring diagram, where is the relay? any other ideas?

2. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

The relay is under the dash near the fuse block,in a separate wire harness--it looks like a square directional flasher.I dont think the green wire at the horn should be hot all the time either--the relay might be stuck in the "honk" position,but then the horn should be blowing if it works--tried putting a hot lead to the horn itself to see if it still honks?.The wire in the horn button is a ground wire--so maybe the green wire IS hot all the time /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif.Usually all my horn troubles were solved by replacing the horn or the relay(or hooking up a horn button!). /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

3. cochino12

cochino12 1/2 ton status

Yeah as soon as I hook up a new horn it honks, that why I'm thinking the relay is stuck. Thanks

4. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Do you feel the "springiness" in the horn button when you depress it?

Very commmon for PO's to get into the steering wheel and mess that up.