Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Horn

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Broke84, Aug 9, 2005.

1. Broke84

Broke84 Registered Member

My horn is very faint, I'm positive it won't pass inspection. Is this a loose connection or is it just a 21 year old horn that needs to be replaced? If it is the horn, anyone got an LMC catalog handy w/ a part number for a stock 84 K5? My catalog is on the way, but I've got to get this thing inspected soon, thanks.
    Ken

2. johnny reb

johnny reb 1/2 ton status

From LMC....both are $19.95

Standard-Low = 36-2150
    Standard-High = 36-2152

You might want to get a GM part number and check www.gmpartsdirect.com

3. Broke84

OK, I'm retarded, high and low meaning volume or placement? Thanks for the help, I'll check out the GM site too. Sound like a broke horn to you?

4. johnny reb

johnny reb 1/2 ton status

I'm guessing volume.

I don't know of anything else that would cause a weak horn other than the horn itself.

5. bcrewcaptain

bcrewcaptain Registered Member

in a lot of vehicles there is a high and low TONE horn....why who knows....but its true..the high sounds like a duck fart at best and the low a beer fart....but together they make the usual lousy horn sound...autozone/advance/whatever carry a single tone that is far better IMO

6. zhgrou6

zhgrou6 Registered Member

My horn failed on my '85 K5. It wasn't the horn at all, it was the horn relay that plugs in under the dash. I guess the contacts had gone bad making a poor connection giving that faint feable honk...

Check out ACDelco D1776 or equivlant at partsamerica.com

If that doesn't fix it try cleaning out the horn button area in the steering wheel. You could have a bad connection there.

7. Broke84

hmmm, low beer fart, that sounds like what I'm looking for. Maybe I'll check out advance tomorrow. thanks again for the input guys. I'll get the hang of this 4WD thing eventually.

8. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

yes put in different horn relay first, then make sure horn bracket is bolted to rad support tight and clean to make sure its grounded good, if not then replace horn

9. Broke84

OK, I played with it a little last night, and here's what I found. The horn works, it's kind of faint, but I think it will pass inspection. The only thing is that you have to push the button at a downward angle. Maybe bad contacts in the steering wheel? Does the cover just pop off, or is there no way to get in there? Thanks.

10. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

Cover just pops off :thumb: