Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Hornets nest

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by lugnut, Jul 5, 2004.

1. lugnut

lugnut 1/2 ton status

I came back from the beach and noticed a big hornets nest in the shed where I keep my mower ( probly been there for awhile and I hadnt seen it ). they dont much like me getting my mower out and I dont much like them being there so somthings got to give. I'm thinking when it gets dark I'll light them up with a torch. My wife thinks that might not be a good idea. What do yall think ? Anybody know anything about getting rid of hornets ?

2. fbronson

fbronson 1/2 ton status

Lighting them up with a torch, while fun, could be hazardous to your health, and your shed. (would be fun though!! /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif) You can purchase wasp/hornet/yellow-jacket spray. I've used some in the past and it seems to work reasonably well. Oooooo it makes them mad /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif for a couple of seconds though. Be sure to wear a long sleeved shirt!

3. Resurrection_Joe

Resurrection_Joe 1 ton status

Buy three cans of Raid flying insect or equivilent with spraypaint type nozzles, tape them together in a tirad with the nozzled splayed out at 0,120, and 240 degrees. Tape the nozzles down, set it in the shed and wait.

They have "bomb" type ones that keep spraying once you press the "plunger" down, try and get one.

4. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

brake cleaner works nicely as well, seems to be cheaper than spray bee killer, is good and flammable if necesary to make a torch, and in my experience they are dead b4 they hit the ground. The non-chlorinated kind seems to kill faster, that is the Brakleen in the green can not the red. Its the one w/ the big skull & x-bones on it lol.

5. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

soapy water kills them, get one those little things you atach to you hose and it mixes what ever in and fill it with dish sope, it will kill them i hurd it what they used on the killer bees /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

6. Resurrection_Joe

Resurrection_Joe 1 ton status

Hey just like Wizards! Wait, you need Lemon juice in the soapy water for them.....

7. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

get a couple cans of either (starting fluid) works awesome /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

8. jakeslim

jakeslim 1/2 ton status

if your fast you can smash the hive with your hands before they come out...... /forums/images/graemlins/screwy.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

9. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

Get out the gas welder and light them up /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

10. thezentree

thezentree 3/4 ton status

i heard tennis rackets work well /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

11. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

The tenis racket would work, if your brave enough to stand there and swat at it /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

12. lugnut

lugnut 1/2 ton status

Well I got all suited up in my coveralls + ski mask + saftey glasses had my wife duct tape the arms and legs put on big work gloves and went to work. I wraped old rags around some ALUMINUM pipe I had laying around soaked the rags in fuel and it was flame on time /forums/images/graemlins/weld.gif Hade a heck of a fire going I stuck that under the nest and all was going well until I saw my pipe sarting to bend out near the fire. I held it for a few more seconds and then ran to dump it into a big can before it fell completly off ( note to self use steal pipe next time ). So it was hornets 0 me 1 and I only had a small fire in the yard to put out. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif The nest is no more and I am king of the shed once more. /forums/images/graemlins/pimp1.gif

13. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

Horay! /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

14. OLD DAWG

OLD DAWG 1/2 ton status

If you have access to a CO2 fire extingusher you can hit the nest with it (around dark) and the cold temp of the gas will temporarally freeze them giving you time to off the stinging little bastages! /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

15. Goober

Goober 1/2 ton status

Ether (Starting Fluid).

[​IMG]

You can get the buggers mid-flight and they fall right out of the air. Spray the nest down really good and you can grab it and toss it in the fire pit.

Oh, one more thing ........ be careful if you are doing this in an enclosed shed. /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

16. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

12ga 3" shell loaded with rock salt. BOOOOOM, no nest.

j

17. potato76

potato76 1/2 ton status

home depot or lowes has like a wasp spray that is perfect.It makes it so wasps cant fly and attack you when you spray them but you can also spray them from a distance.We have a bunch by my house and they live in our attic but they dont bother me so i dont bother them.theyll be gone once it gets cold again....if it ever does 114 degrees today. /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

18. LKJR

LKJR 1/2 ton status

that long distance shooting stuff works well, and it's a lot of fun. also motor oil or any other kind of petroleum works well, if you can find a way to shoot it at the nest.

19. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

Just use some wasp and hornet spray. It works fine. I have used it many times. Its a lot better than burning down a building. Spray the nest at night or real eary in the morning when the nasty beasts are moving slow.

20. djsblaze

djsblaze 1/2 ton status

Burn down the entire shed...you know you want a bigger one anyway!