Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Horns

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by '73 K5, Oct 18, 2001.

1. '73 K5

'73 K5 1/2 ton status

When I got my Blazer 4 years ago, the horn didn't work along with almost everything else. So I thought it would be cool to get some air horns. I ended up with a $50 kit from J.C. Whitney that came with two massive chrome horns and compressor about the size of a pop can. It was really good for the first 6 months or so and then the compressor slowly died. Now the second compressor is dying and I'm done with it. The horns take up too much room under the hood anyway. Question is what kind of electric aftermarket horns can I put on my truck that won't take up too much room and/or sound like a horn from a Honda. My truck is big and loud...I need a horn that sounds like it belongs. Thanks in advance.

'73 K5
    Chevy good...Ford bad

2. Burbinator

Burbinator 1/2 ton status

Check out eBay and look for a Federal Signal or the like siren unit with airhorn feature. Get that and a 100W speaker and you're set. I have that setup in my '91 now, with it wired via relay to my horn button. Just don't use the siren, the local PD gets a little torqued at that.

The learning curve is a toll road...ride with someone who has already paid!
    <a target="_blank" href=http://photos.yahoo.com/abshort1>My Naval Fleet</a>

3. muddin4fun

muddin4fun 3/4 ton status

I got some 'hiway blasters' from Napa (I think that's the name of the horns) and they sounded like regular horns. Not low pitched, but not high pitched and loud as anything!

Peace and stuff [​IMG],

Muddin

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/muddin4fun79blazer>www.geocities.com/muddin4fun79blazer</a>

4. rampage

rampage 1/2 ton status

I know of someone who put the air horns from a train in their car. Needless to say the police didn't like it and they had to be removed. [​IMG]

5. Ddragggon

Ddragggon 1/2 ton status

...... do they still.... well, you know, have the horns laying around? I need big horns on my truck....

-Rich

My truck isn't ugly, you have a skewed sense of beauty

<font color=blue>2007 Ford XLS++ intrepid Ram Superduty 7000 R-type's suck</font color=blue>

6. rampage

rampage 1/2 ton status

Nope, I don't know what became of them.

7. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

The loudest stock horns I've ever heard were on my '73 Pontiac Catalina. Could probably pick up a set cheap at a JY. [​IMG]

<font color=black>HarryH3 - '75 K5</font color=black>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.angelfire.com/super/ThunderTruck>www.angelfire.com/super/ThunderTruck</a>
    It's a great day to be alive...

8. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

Yeah the horns from most all the 60s american cars and trucks had that nice, Get Out of My Way sound

<a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/Thunders-Blaze>http://coloradok5.com/gallery/Thunders-Blaze</a>
    <font color=blue>NEVADA: Where the pavement ends, and the West begins.</font color=blue>

9. BrianK5

BrianK5 Registered Member

Check out the junkyard for pickups and Suburbans, I just picked 2 horns up for 7 bucks. I should have tested them before I left b/c when I got home and plugged them in, they didn't work!
    I'd really like to get a horn from a semi. I think that would say "GET OUT OF MY WAY"

Brian

1985 K5 Blazer

10. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

11. muddysub

muddysub 1 ton suburban status Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

so those jc whitney ones suck huh? thanks for saying that i was gonna buy them. does any one know what the horns that HELLA makes sound like? i know they sell air horns.

donate to the "Build Scott's Suburban Foundation"
    scott,
    1989 GMC suburban 3/4t 4" lift soon to be rollin on 36" swampers, tbi350, th350, np241

12. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

Yeah, the Hella horns are loud, kind of have that European car sound. They are cool though, seen them on some dezert racers, though the truck I pitted for had some $20 model horns from Harbor Freight and they sounded as good.

Bubba Ray Boudreaux,
    "It wastes drinking time."<a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/user/mdntrdr1>http://community.webshots.com/user/mdntrdr1</a>

13. riz

riz 3/4 ton status

<font color=purple> Just my opinion .......... JCWhitney sucks a$$ ....... they're about one step away fro ma garage sale ! To me they sem like a cheap place to get stuff that never holds up over time ............ I'm sure a lot of you buy from them , but I never would ...they can pack sand all day !

L8r,
    . Riz . <a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/rizmonkey>www.geocities.com/rizmonkey</a>

<font color=purple> BOW CHICKA BOW WOW !

14. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

I'v never bought from JCW either. I have problems buying parts from someone who sells little pills you put in your engine that they claim "will make it run like new".
    However they do have a Ocean Liner Blast Horn. the ad reads:" Make waves in traffic with an increadably loud blast.
    Of course you could always do what I do. When the landlubber traffic gets too much. I just touch off the old 16 pounder and put a round across their bows. BOOM !!! Now that gets their attention.

<font color=blue>NEVADA: Where the pavement ends, and the West begins.</font color=blue><P ID="edit"><FONT class="small">Edited by Thunder on 10/18/01 11:27 PM.</FONT></P>

15. Blazin Obsession

Blazin Obsession Registered Member

I use an air horn off a semi with 120 lbs of air pressure,,, I can assure you that it really has that "get out of my way" sound.
    A little info on train horns,,,, there are three air horns to produce the sound, they require a lot of air and space,,they can be bought new for about 400 or 500 bucks. I have never seen a train wrecking yard but used horns may be available from a train hobby collector.
    Ken

16. TwoCrowsDesign

TwoCrowsDesign 1/2 ton status

I had an 83 Buick Regal that had the loudest stock horn of any car I've ever owned. I would watch the people in front of me startle when I a laid on it. Plenty of that model in the junkyards these days.

When I was in high school I had an air horn in my 74 Pinto station wagon, when I laid on that baby nobody could believe that massive sound had just come from such POS little car! It was great. Of course the horn was the only cool thing about it...

John

17. LKJR

LKJR 1/2 ton status

Well with working in a marina for a year I dealt with a few air horns. What you should do is if you have on board air, make a valve and run a hose to your horns, then you'll have plenty of noise and no little compressor
    Buell Makes some that are just plain sweet and loud as all get out but they cost as much as most our rigs.

Like em big and topless
    Excuse me...Would you mind removing your import from under my chevy?