Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Horny Problem

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Chevy305, Nov 5, 2006.

1. Chevy305

Chevy305 6 Lug 14bsf Status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Even since i bought my truck I have been having problems with the horn. I have gone through 3 actual horns, 2 fuses, cleaned the contacts, and replaced the contacts. My horn will work great for a month or 2 at a time then take a crap on me. I'm not sure why it does this. I have traced all the wires associated with the horn and have come across no problems like shorts or anything like that. Is this just a Chevy truck thing or is it just me?

This is on a 85 K10

2. 70GMC

70GMC Registered Member

are the contacts on the turn signal cancelling cam on an 85? i've never messed with one that new before

3. MattK

MattK 1/2 ton status

i believe the horn is fused along with a couple other things like your dash lights. check that stuff too.

4. Chevy305

Actually, I'm not sure the steering collumn is from an 85. So I'm not sure but I believe the contacts are separate from the turn signal cam.

Also in Chevy trucks, where there any years that did not automatically click off the turn signal after completing a turn? or is that just a worn/broken part in my steering collumn?

5. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

you've got broken parts inside the column, and the contacts are on the cam.

most common problem is the springs on the turn signal switch, if that is the case, most GM dealers stock them, and they're only a couple bucks.

6. goldwing2000

goldwing2000 Guest

I've had intermittant horn problems caused by a bad horn relay.

7. 70GMC

70GMC Registered Member

nope you definetly need a new cancelling cam, thats the thing that clicks the turn signal off after completing a turn. so like beaterk20 said, the contacts are on the cam and that's most likely the problem

8. pvfjr

pvfjr 1/2 ton status

Sounds familiar to my old horn issues. I just went with an air horn off a Freightliner instead, no more worries. I hated fighting the electric horn. You never find out that it quit working again until it's too late and the time for needing it has passed.:mad:

9. Chevy305

Ya my turn signal doesn't click back off after I make a turn. So I guess I need new parts of some type.

10. onlychevy6

onlychevy6 1/2 ton status

mine just started to do this. good info. except the bad thing with mine is i have a train horn and when that goes off when you least expect it. :yikes: