Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Horrible grinding noise from dana 60

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by koldsimer, Mar 20, 2006.

1. koldsimer

koldsimer 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Here's what is going on. When in 4h or 4L there is a terrible grinding noise coming from my front axle. It started soon after I put my yukons and detroit in. I have eliminated it being the driveshaft, t-case or the lockouts. The noise seems to come from the differential. I pulled the cover today and the ring and pinion look perfect. There were no shavings in the oil and the carrier bearings looked ok. All the ring gear bolts were tight and the caps were tight as well. The only thing that I can think it may be is the carrier bearings. When I put the detroit on, I though we might have damaged one of the bearings during the removal process. The thing that keeps throwing me is that the noise occurs with each revolution of the tire with no variance. This makes me think that something is rubbing somewhere. I checked the axleshafts and u-joints to make sure they were not grinding against anything. I disassembled the wheels down to the spindle and made sure the wheel bearings and spindle bearings were fine. I cant figure this out and it's driving me crazy. The noise is much less apparent when under load. It's definately louder when just coasting. I dunno. Suggestions please.

2. readymix

readymix 3/4 ton status

So you re-used the old carrier bearings? That could be the issue.

3. koldsimer

I was kinda thinking that also. It just keeps throwing me off though- all the bearing issues i've had in the past in any vehicle seemd to be more of a constant whine or grind. This is totally silent then all of a sudden a bad grind real quick at the same spot every revolution.

4. readymix

readymix 3/4 ton status

Does it do it with the hubs unlocked?
    In 2WD?

5. koldsimer

nope, no noise in 2wd at all. I can shift the case into 4wd even with the hubs unlocked and it makes the noise. I can lock the hubs in while the case is in 2wd and it makes the noise.

6. readymix

readymix 3/4 ton status

Sounds like it is in the carrier then. Time to pull the detroit

7. tomseviltwin

tomseviltwin 1/2 ton status

Is the dustshield on your brakes bent and rubbing?

8. pvfjr

pvfjr 1/2 ton status

The rotors are always turning....not just in 4wd. :screwy:

9. RootBreaker

RootBreaker 3/4 ton status Premium Member

is the grind more or less when you hammer it in 4wd???

I have had this grind since 1994 and I still have it.. I do have to figure it out eventually.... maybe soon....

I replaced the d-shaft... all new bearings, new detroit replacement carrier....

wondering if it is the np205....... groanin???

I can be at a redlight in 2wd and drop the clutch BIGTIME and it wont do it.. once I put it in 4wd and punch it from a stop.. it is a constant grinding sound... hard to explain... but if I drive not really hard it doesnt do it.....

something else I was thinking... how are your tranny mounts? lets say in 4wd you have both shafts spinning and could make the tranny shift side to side.......

Sorry I am not too sure but a few things to check :crazy:

I havent worried about mine cuz when something breaks then I know what it is... I know that isnt the way to figure it out but like I said I have had this problem FOREVER and it aint broke yet...

10. clarkjw24

clarkjw24 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Pinion yoke

11. miniwally

miniwally 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I would take the shafts out of the front, and see if it makes the noise while turning the pinion by hand. If not then the problem is somewhere on the shafts. If it still maes the noise then it is in the diff and you are aleady part way there to getting the thing apart.

12. koldsimer

Thanks for all the ideas guys. Today i'm gonna pull the shafts and see if it still makes the noise. If it does, i'm gonna pull the carrier and put new bearings on it just to see if that is it. To reply to some of your suggestions- it cant be the pinion yoke because it happens with every revolution of the tire. If it was pinion related I would expect it to grind about 4.5 times for every tire revolution. The noise goes away when the drivetrain has a fair amount of torque in it. The noise is worst when coasting. All tranny/engine mounts are new. The front driveshaft has been taken off and the noise is still there.

13. CyberSniper

CyberSniper 1/2 ton status Premium Member

The first thing I'd check are the lockouts. I'd pull everything related to the hubs out and then drive it.

How dirty are your axle tubes?

14. Leper

Leper 1/2 ton status

He runs flanges.

15. koldsimer

I've pulled everything but the axleshafts. Axletubes are clean. I've put both the slugs and lockouts in and it still makes the noise.

16. CyberSniper

CyberSniper 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I'd put it on jackstands and pull the tires. Rotate the driveshaft and listen. It's probably a bearing cage if it's not the ring gear rubbing on something.

17. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

Could it be the inner rock flange on the stub shaft not being square to the shaft causing it to rub on the knuckle?

Ira

18. Leper

Leper 1/2 ton status

That sounds like it could be it. Do you still have that on your axles?

19. Citizen Rider

Citizen Rider 1/2 ton status

Go a pm steve...

20. koldsimer

Good suggestion but definately not it. I watched carefully when turning the axle and it wasn't making contact anywhere. I went ahead and pulled the detroit and the carrier bearings and pinion bearing looked good. What are the chances that these bearings are bad even though they look fine to me?