Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Horrible Sounds (transmission)

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by ggallin13, Jul 6, 2000.

1. ggallin13

ggallin13 1/2 ton status

When I am in 4wd, when I shift from 1st to park I get violent grinding sounds from underneath my truck. In 2wd it works as normal. It is especially bad in 4Lo. What could be causing this? Am I shifting the truck right? Do I have to be in neutral to shift the T-case, or can I be in either park or neutral? Still, I don't know why it would grind when I am just shifting into park...

I figured I'd have to rebuild my tranny at some point this year, but I hoped that I'd make it to Xmas. If my tranny is dying, there go my new gears and locker. [​IMG] I just got my lift, too. Pics to follow...

Anyway, I'd love to hear some speculation as to what the deal is with these noises. I am amazed that I can hear such a violent grinding and then have it work just fine.

2. James

James 1/2 ton status

I got to tell you when I first read this question I started laughing my ass off. Not because of your question but because this happens to me all the time. All I could think of while reading how violent the noise is. Is sitting in my truck saying what the f@#k is that noise? I have to turn the truck off and then throw into park before going back from LLOC or HLOC to regular drive. Still have not figured out. Hopefully someone will enlighten us on what were doing wrong. Good luck!
    Peace
    James

3. jimmyjack

jimmyjack 1/2 ton status

Not sure if this applies or not, but inside the 208 there are nylon bushings(dog ears) on the range selector fork. These wear off and allow extra play. Like I said it may not apply but mine did that for awhile, then suddenly it would slip inbetween 2 and 4 hi(while in 2 hi), when I would move the gear selector from drive to park, the grinding noise you describe would crawl up my spine. I would have to shift the t case into lo then back to 2 hi. Hope this helps you out. Good luck.

creepin' and crawlin'

Jim

4. jimmyjack

jimmyjack 1/2 ton status

Forgot to mention that when it slipped in betwwen 2 and 4 hi it would act like nuetral. NO GO.

creepin' and crawlin'

Jim