Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

horse power ?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by wheelin247, Feb 10, 2001.

1. wheelin247

wheelin247 1/2 ton status

im thinkin of buyin a engine it have a mild to mediam cam and edelbrock prefromer intake and edelbrock 600 cfm carb how much power do u think it has kinda wanted to know if i was gonna buy it ......thanks alot

2. wayne

wayne 3/4 ton status

That's a tough ? to answer with such limited info. You need to let us know what size ie: 350,454 or what and what else may have been done to it? Even then you will only get a real ballpark figure. So post more info on it and I will be glad to help out any way I can. If you have the camshaft speks that would help alot. Also if you know what heads or year of the engine and what it origionally came out of.

Happy Trails
    Wayne

3. wheelin247

wheelin247 1/2 ton status

sorry about that haha....its a 350 it came out of a 77 blazer and it was recently rebuilt tho its got the edelbrock performer intake and a perfomer 600 cfm carb and hooker drag headers on it .

4. wayne

wayne 3/4 ton status

In stock form they were rated at about 200 net horsepower with all smog equiptment hooked up. I have a similar setup in my 73 shortbed pick-up as to what you are looking to buy. I am not that pleased with the Edelbrock carb on mine though. I am going to switch back to a quadrajet soon because I think it ran a whole lot better. As far as horsepower I would ballpark it at around 250 to 280 net horsepower and that is a rough guess going with what you told me. It sounds like all the smog stuff is gone and has a good exhaust. In a 4x4 on the street and offroad look more at the torque figures because that is what will get the truck moving and don't overcam or over carb it either. If it is a daily driver and you need the new engine and you heard and drove the truck with the 350 in it and you can get it pretty cheap it sounds like a good combination to buy.

Happy Trails
    Wayne

5. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

Actually I believe the stock horsepower ratings for a 350 during this time period was only around 150 or so. My guess is that with a stock rebuild and just a mild cam, intake, and carb it would be lucky to have 200 horsepower at the maximum.....but that's just my opinion.
    A friend of mine did a stock rebuild on an '83 model 350 and installed the Edelbrock cam and intake and ran a true dual exhaust, while it did run better than stock it didn't run as well as a stock '88 with the fuel injected 350 (rated at around 200 h.p. stock).