Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

horsepower arguement

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by jacked_86chevyk10, Jun 22, 2004.

1. jacked_86chevyk10

jacked_86chevyk10 Registered Member

me and my buddy got in a heated arguement about the horsepower my truck has....there is no dyno anywhere close to our houses...(we live out in te georgia boonies) but could anyone give me a guesstiment on all this stuff....87 k10 350 standard bore/stroke...edelbrock alum. intake....hooker long tube headers.. holley 600 cfm (i think)... k&n filter... JUST A GUESSTIMENT WOULD HELP...he thinks around 190 and im thinkin a lil bit more up in the upper 200's, but we're not sure

2. Wingnutt

Wingnutt 1/2 ton status

IIRC your K5 had 210 hp toatlly stock. That was with the origional TBI setup. If you haven't freeded up your exhaust flow, your headers ain't doing as much as they are capable of. That Holley IMHO is a step backwards unless it's been tuned specifically for your rig. You may have added about 20 hp if you haven't invreased you exhause flow capabilities; if you have, you may be looking at about 240-250 hp now.

3. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

thats assuming the motor was good to begin with. Oh and a 600 holley isn't a step back if its tuned right. Stock TBI unit flows like 450 CFM.

4. 85mudblazin

85mudblazin 1/2 ton status

I have a GM crate 350 and it has 260 hp with headers, so I think you prolly have quiet a bit more than that since you have aluminum intake and other things like that.My .02
    /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

eh don't overestimate the gains. I put a new carb and headers on my K5, I believe it easily added 50+ horsepower with a couple simple bolt ons. Motor is fresh, but the previous carbs were HORRIBLE. If you have a good QJet setup well running well a carb and intake swap I don't think would net you a whole lot.

6. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

First make sure you're comparing apples to apples. Are you estimating SAE net HP, Gross flywheel HP or Rear Wheel HP?

Rear wheel it'd likely be under 180 hp, SAE net maybe 230-240 depending on a ton of things...and gross flywheel hp could be 300 or more. All from the same engine.

Rene

7. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Probably actually only making around 150 to the ground depending on the what tranny.

8. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

Just tell him horsepower doesn't matter, torque does ( horsepower is torque x rpm / 5252 anyway ) . Then challenge him to take HIS vehicle up the tallest hill you can find that YOU CAN make it up. Should shut him up if he can't or WON'T do it . /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

9. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

Another thing I haven't seen anyone mention is that if your 87 came with a TBI and no one switched the cam when you went ot a carb, then you'll probably have less. I am going to say your friend is probably close in his HP guesstimation at the crank.

Find a dyno or maybe someone with a desktop dyno and it will give you a better idea.

10. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

[ QUOTE ]
    Probably actually only making around 150 to the ground depending on the what tranny.

[/ QUOTE ]

You're probably right, but I was trying to be nice. Not everyone wants to hear their mighty small block is only making about 150 at the wheels on a good day and if it's tuned well.

Rene

11. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

If it's still the original 350 that came equipped with TBI (200-210 factory H.P.), and you simply switched the intake, the Holley carb, and the headers I can't imagine it's making any more than maybe 230??? I just can't see you getting in the "upper 200" range with a couple external bolt-ons.

If the engine is a previous generation that was originally carb'd from the factory I believe the H.P. rating was only around 160, then the 190 H.P. estimate would probably be pretty close.

12. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You're probably right, but I was trying to be nice. Not everyone wants to hear their mighty small block is only making about 150 at the wheels on a good day and if it's tuned well.

Rene

[/ QUOTE ] I thought I would be in the upper 100's with my old 350 with some air intake mods and dual exhaust....put it on the dyno and it made 120HP at 3,500-4,500 RPM. That isn't bad actually when GM rated it 175HP at the crank brand new. Heck even my built 406 didn't impress me all that much when it was on the dyno, made 215HP and 300 ft lbs of torque to the ground but that was also with a th700 behind it with an unlocked converter and tall gears.

My guess is he has a th700 and they are the worst about swallowing power EXPECIALLY with the converter un locked, worse than the big heavy th400...IIRC. /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

13. mudjunkie 82

mudjunkie 82 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

put a Blown 540" Merlin in it. you will have all the power you need. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

14. hi pinion

hi pinion 3/4 ton status

I am so tired of these stupid little babygame laws here in Ca....... if we diddnt have these laws you would see nuts and bolts flying out from under the damn truck. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif IF ONLY.......... /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

15. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

/forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif
    88 FI 454 Suburban was only rated 230hp stock. /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

Now it does make 385lb ft of torque at 1600rpm. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif