Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

HorsePower gain?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by TXsizeK5, Apr 24, 2002.

1. TXsizeK5

TXsizeK5 1/2 ton status

Can somone tell me good ways to gain any amount of horsepower i have a TBI 305. Thanks

2. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

Headers & a highflow exhaust. Either true duals or 3" with highflow cats (if necessary). New intake manifold, such as an edelbrock aluminum. K&N filter, and inproved method of getting air to the throttle body. MSD igniton box, coil, wires. I have all the above on my 350 (excluding the improved airflow to carb & headers which are coming this summer) and they all made good power gains. The exhaust is where I would start, then either intake manifold with improved airflow to TBI unit. I really like how the MSD box (with coil, and wires added beforehand) woke up my truck. It was a really good addition for me, and help my engine alot. I do have a carb though and not TBI, so I don't know how it would work for you.

3. FRIZZLEFRY

FRIZZLEFRY 1/2 ton status

One of them coffee can sized exhaust tips and a type r sticker should be good for about 50+ hp /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

4. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Your engine had 185 HP from the factory.

5. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Actually according to GM it was a whopping 170hp/260ft lbs /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

6. Silver84k5

Silver84k5 1/2 ton status

wont that TBI work on a 350? you could pickup a decent 350 for not too much money im sure, dunno though

7. wheelnut46

wheelnut46 1/2 ton status

Which MSD box did you get? and why? I am also looking to wake up my 350 and add MPG in the process, if possible.

8. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

I have the MSD 6 Offroad box. I also have and MSD coil, and super conductor wires. I bought the Offroad box, because I am an Offroader, and its features are being waterproof and vibration proof. All MSD 6 series boxes work the same. But they all have different options. The 6A box is just the normal box, the 6AL has a built in rev limiter, and the 6 Offroad is waterproof and vibration proof (the others are only resistant).

I bought the Offroad because i wanted to do it right the first time, and not take a chance of water or vibration killing it.

I bought the coil and wires before I bought the box, and they helped out, but the box is the biggest help. It made my truck run a hell of a lot better. I notice better seat of the pants power, better mileage, better passing power, easier starts, but the biggest thing was throttle response. The throttle response gain was great. I noticed it most when I was cruising at about 35-45, and then punched the throttle to pass someone. It was a night and day difference in this area. Like I said though, I have a carb, so I can't atest to anything with FI.

9. 1979Jimmy

1979Jimmy 1/2 ton status

scew the 305 get a 350 for all the money you would throw at a 305 you could get a 350 for the same amount.

10. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I guess I was a little optimistic then. The 305 that came in my truck was 160 HP model. /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif There were 140 HP and 120 HP models too.

The new one is 260 though so it's all good.