Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Horsepower TV

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by sled_dog, Jun 19, 2005.

1. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

Why don't they do things the right way when they build an EFI car? They get stupid programmers(all I can think is they pay well to advertise), instead of dyno tuning like they REALLY should. They laid down 360HP at the wheels on a cammed, ported heads, aftermarket intake, LS1. Personally I think it should have been closer to 400. They didn't bother programming it till after the initial dyno run. Which still only brought it up 20HP.

I'm actually helping a buddy put a LS6 shortblock with similar cam, ported heads, LS6 intake in his 02 Camaro. First thing he did when he knew what was going in it was get a shop to reprogram his PCM based on specs. When he getst he car home hes going to get it custom tuned, either on the dyno or on the street.

2. fireplug

fireplug 1/2 ton status

oh oh, are you still watching? Another LS1 on Extreme 4x4.

3. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

Yep. Not a fan of Poison Spyder but buggy project with an LS1 is awesome :D

4. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Same thing in most of the magazines.

I suspect as you that some of it is based on advertisers, but also probably on time.

5. icer97

icer97 1/2 ton status

I love how EASY everything comes apart on their builds. Everything is always spotless, no grease or nothing. Wish it was like that in the real world! :grin:

6. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

The Horsepower TV setup made the LS1 removal and install look WAY EASIER than it really is.

7. fireplug

fireplug 1/2 ton status

Every time I watch these shows I wonder why I bother. All they are is one long commercial. They fly past the build so they can squeeze another product into the show. Yet, next sunday, where am I? Not church! I find Xtreme 4x4 is a 'little' better though.

8. Ryan B.

Ryan B. 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

I could be wrong but i'm pretty sure that here in california it is illegal to do any dyno tuning on smog controlled vehicles, especially reprogramming the ecm and tuning it to pull more power out of your mods. Not saying you can't find places to do it, but apex motorsports here in the bay area got shut down for a while for doing just that.
    I know a buddys shop around here won't allow any tuning on the dyno with 73 up vehicles, only baseline pulls. If your pre smog they'll tune for you all day long.
    On paper and on the street i am really impressed with LS1's. At sac raceway on a 90-100 degree day all the LS1 camaros from norcalls1.com were running 13.9-14.0ish lightly mod'd. The fastest one out there went 12.8 with heads and cam, ported intake, granted he was in full street trim w/ radials. They were running a second slower than we would have expected. Maybe it was the hot conditions. Later in the night i saw a blown Z06 on drag radials run the exact time as my car 11.6 @ 118. :blush: I really want to go back to the track in better conditions to see how much faster everyones cars will be running since weather effects performance.

9. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

Somethings off about all that I'd have to say. The 02 SS I am helping work on ran 12.8s consintently (3 in a row at test and tune), thats just headers, exhaust, dyno tuned, and K&N intake. Hes expecting low 12s with the new engine setup and hoping(with some better driving) he can break into the high 11s.

10. smokkey1

smokkey1 1/2 ton status

I'm almost postive that there in Tennessee.

11. jhellwig

jhellwig 1/2 ton status

Wow man dat spyder on xtream4x4 is bling bling rollin on dem 20's.

Pimpin

12. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

All the mags are in Cali, the Horsepower TV and other Powerblock shows are in the midwest/south

13. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Watching horsepower tv now (I think) where they are working on an older jeep, installing a lift.

Since when can you remove a brake line from a running driving vehicle, and have no fluid come out of it? :)

14. jhellwig

jhellwig 1/2 ton status

It is possible. YOu just have to hold your head right.