Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Hostages Held at Colorado School

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by cbbr, Sep 27, 2006.

1. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Story here.

A gunman opened fire inside a high school outside of Denver today and was holding several students hostage, the police said.
    The gunman, apparently the male parent of a student at the school, Platte Canyon High, arrived at the school at about noon, the authorities told reporters. As of midafternoon, there were no reports of injuries.
    CNN reported that the gunman had four hostages and might have a bomb.
    Students at Platte Canyon and nearby Fitzsimmons Middle School, both about 35 miles south of Denver, were evacuated.
    "The two schools have been in lockdown and there is some kind of incident but I have no further details at this stage," an official in the Park County sheriff’s office told Agence France-Presse.
    The evacuation of the two schools came after a loud noise, Jan Howard, a secretary to the superintendent of schools, told The Associated Press.
    "I don’t know what the noise was," she said. She said students were taken to a safe location but predicted that parents would not be able to immediately reach them because the only highway in and out of town had been shut down.
    in which two students killed 13 people before taking their own lives.

2. gjk5

gjk5 3/4 ton status

I've been watching this since about 12:30 but no new developments.

3. gjk5

gjk5 3/4 ton status

Update, 9 news said SWAT made an entry, suspect in a bag, one female student critically wounded but on the flight for life.

http://www.9news.com/acm_news.aspx?OSGNAME=KUSA&IKOBJECTID=f0907283-0abe-421a-01d9-13eae7db41d7&TEMPLATEID=0c76dce6-ac1f-02d8-0047-c589c01ca7bf

According to the Bureau of Alcohol Tobacco and Firearms the bomb squad set off an explosive in order to gain entry.

The gunman then fired a shot hitting one of the two female students being held hostage.

Medical personnel in the field have confirmed the gunman was killed during the raid.

That injured student was brought out of the school on a stretcher and put in an ambulance. The ambulance then drove to a Flight for Life helicopter that was already on scene. The student had vital signs before she was put on the helicopter.

The helicopter is expected to go to St. Anthony's Central in Denver.

4. Cricket

Cricket 3/4 ton status

We drive through there all the time on the way to trail runs. Bailey is a really small town. I'm suprised it took place up there.

5. boggerless

boggerless 1 ton status Premium Member

i read today that some ass wipe drug a lady behind his car in CO.they were from mexico but still.did peeps from detroit move to that state!????

6. chevy wrangler

chevy wrangler 1/2 ton status

7. chevy wrangler

8. boggerless

we have a weather center at work, but it also gets the AP news updated when it happens.and i read that today at 3 PM. it was his wife.they found her with a tow rope around her neck????a mile long drag they said.:eek1:

9. chevy wrangler

crazy chitty stuff!!

10. OrangeCrushK10

OrangeCrushK10 1/2 ton status

Yeah. The guy drug his girlfriend behind his truck for a mile. It's actually been posted about by another CO Crew guy here in the lounge...

I saw the news article earlier on the hostage thing in Bailey. That's really crazy. It is just a small mountain town. Definetly reminded me of Columbine, but really it has little similarities. Just popped into my mind since I was a junior in a sister school to Columbine when that happened - made it kinda memorable.

Also reminds me of that guy in Granby that lost it and built a tank out of a bulldozer and leveled half the town. But atleast he seemed to go out of his way to avoid actually hurting anybody...

Crazy stuff in this state in the last few years. Crazy frickin' stuff...

11. Cricket

Cricket 3/4 ton status

We get all the lunatics from other states. It's becoming the norm.

12. 89GMCSuburban

89GMCSuburban 1/2 ton status

:whistle: :whistle: :whistle:

Bailey is very VERY small..and the high school isn't even right in town, either...it's down the highway from it. Sucks, though. Can't believe some arse would do something like that.

13. 4by4bygod

4by4bygod 1/2 ton status

Saw on yahoo that the girl who was life flighted with critical injuries died while she was at the hospital. :mad:

Tom

14. gjk5

gjk5 3/4 ton status

I watched the press conference before school today, the Sheriff kept breaking down and almost bursting into tears and I couldn't figure out why. Turns out his son was in the school at the time too.

Looks like from the current releases that the guy was living in his car, 54 years old, and had no connections to the school that they can identify yet. He walked in with a semi-auto and revolver and took the girls hostage and was sexually assaulting them as the SWAT team was trying to negotiate with him. He kept referring to bad things happening at 4PM and then stopped talking to SWAT so they rushed him and he apparently got off a couple rounds at them then turned the gun on the 16 year old girl and then himself.

It's a shame, but at least the Sheriff's office took initiative and took a risk entering instead of hiding outside like they did at Columbine.

15. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

It would only have gotten worse if they hadn't. I hate that the girl got killed, but I am thankful that he is gone.

16. chevy wrangler

some people need to get a life and stop being such bass turds!!!why would any one take a woman or a girl hostage?? that just shows he had no balls!!

17. OrangeCrushK10

OrangeCrushK10 1/2 ton status

Guess he was sexually assualting the hostage girls too.

I'm disgusted and enraged... Feel like shooting something.

18. boggerless

sorry i didn't see that.

19. Desert Rat

Desert Rat Fetch the comfy chair

Not entirely accurate. I've seen the not for public viewing debrief of the entire event, including the actual entire footage captured by the peripheral, and school video cameras. Every officer who arrived on scene immediately took action. In fact, the first officers to arrive took immediate gunfire, engaged the two cretins in a brief firefight, and then directed incoming units to deploy and begin rescueing students. The one good thing to come out of the incident though was to focus on active shooter scenarios and it spurred law enforcement all across the country to re-evaluate tactics and intensify training.

20. chevy wrangler

thats just crazy!!!!!!