Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

hot and cold plugs???

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by reddog64, Dec 4, 2002.

1. reddog64

reddog64 1/2 ton status

What;s the difference between hot and cold sparkplugs... how do i determine which range i need to best suite me?

2. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

The number in the plugs model number is usually the heat range. Go to NGK's site. They have a phone number for tech and will ask you a few questions and recommend a plug.

3. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

You usually use a hot plug in a low power engine and a cool plug in a high power engine (not an absolute rule, but pretty close). The hot and cold refers to insulation properties of the plug and how well it sheds heat to the cooling system. You would use a hot plug where the combustion chamber heat remains relatively low (light duty) and a cold plug where combustion temperatures are high (like towing applications). Getting the right one will minimize fouling. Depending on the plug manufacturer, colder plugs are sometimes recessed, shorter or more shrouded and can slow the burn in the combustion chamber since they are pulled from the center, which slows down the burn. Indexing your plugs can do the same but not usually to the same effect, in fact its hardly noticeable on the average engine unless your right on the fine line of detonation.