Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

hot d@mn it feels good to drive my truck again!!!!!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by colbystephens, Jul 29, 2006.

1. colbystephens

colbystephens 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

yep. ok 3 months ago my 700 blew out. tRustyk5 gave me his 465/205 + driveshafts, so i went up to canada last weekend to get those boxes/shafts from him. so now, i spent a few evenings this week doing the manual swap, and holy freaking crap it feels GOOD to be back in my rig. the gearing of that tranny is unbelievable - it's freaking awesome... almost orgasmic. :haha:

so here's my big tip for getting a 465 into your rig - bolt the bellhousing to the tranny first, not the engine. i fought for a few hours to get the tranny into the bellhousing - the input shaft took about 3 minutes to get in. then, after fighting forever, i removed the bellhousing from the engine and bolted it to the tranny. took about 5 seconds after that to get it on the engine! :doah: ok, that's all. i'll get wheeling soon and post up some pics. :D :D :D

2. roadnotca

roadnotca 3/4 ton status

Now you have a street legal tractor:haha:

3. pvfjr

pvfjr 1/2 ton status

So, do you have a problem with getting in and trying to pop the auto shifter into gear? I did. I got so used to my truck being an auto, that my brain was just automatically programmed for an auto tranny when I got in it. I had to leave it in neutral when I was parking it, so I wouldn't keep trying to start it in gear. :doah: Once I popped the column shifter into drive, and kept revving the motor wondering why it wouldn't move. :haha: Oh well, that habit is broken now. :p: So how's it feel to have a tranny in your truck that you don't have to worry about? That's the best part. Congrat's on your swap, pretty good time I'd say.

4. y5mgisi

y5mgisi 1 ton status

good work colby!

5. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

pics?? :D

Rene

6. NoReGrEtS

NoReGrEtS 1/2 ton status

glad to hear you got it drive able again

7. broncoman6524

broncoman6524 1/2 ton status

EXACTLY :D

8. colbystephens

colbystephens 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

i'll get some pics up soon. my camera takes such big files that i have to resize everything i want to put up, and it's time consuming. i'll try and do that tomorrow.

pvfjr - only did that a couple times. i only drove my truck w/ an automatic for 1 month before the 700 went out. i've been driving a stick for the last 3 months, so it's been pretty easy transition. had i not had the down time from my rig it probably would have been a bit different. :D

9. pvfjr

pvfjr 1/2 ton status

Ah, well mine was an auto for two years while I had it. Even though all my other rigs are a stick, whenever I got into that one I wanted to use the column shifter. I feel like trying to hook it up to something somehow...
    Another time it screwed me was when it somehow got bumped down into reverse while wheeling. I killed it at some point, then went to restart it, and it wouldn't go since it wasn't in park. We troubleshot solenoids, starter cables, battery connections and everything before we figured it out.:doah:

Have you ever tried Irfanview for resizing pics? It's super quick and easy for me, lets you choose from some preset sizes too. 800x600 is pretty good for the forums I think. Free program too.

10. 1-ton

1-ton 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Actualy what I do is bolt the bell housing to the engine first, BUT I bolt it on loosley. This leaves enough play in the bell housing to move the trans around enough, in order to slide the tit of the input shaft into the pilot bearing. Another thing is to have a good line-up tool.

11. big dan

big dan 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I drove my truck for 3 years before switchin to manual. no real problems yet except I keep forgeting to take it out of gear or mash the clutch when I start and it is low geared enough that it will start in gear and take off.:eek1:
    and I understand what you mean about gettting to drive it again. mine was only down for 3 days but it sucked. we got it in the first day and got it going but broke the drive shaft before we left the parking lot. went back the next day and got it all put back together and the fuel pump went out before we left the shop. its kinda hard to get a fuel pump at 2 in the morning so we had to leave till the next day.:mad: frustrating but we got it going and I love it.