Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Hot exhaust pipes under passenger and drivers seat?

Discussion in 'The Injection Section' started by FWP, Nov 5, 2006.

1. FWP

FWP CRS

Anyone have this problem with a TBI swap? It only happens when under high power for 30 minutes or more- i.e. highway driving with 42's and a 7000 lb pig:D

Engine temp is normal, the tranny gets a little warm as I would expect. Stock puter, mild cam. It's been this way ever since the swap, starting with 37's, 38.5's then 42's. Stock manifolds, if that makes a difference.

Ideas? Thoughts?

2. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

what cam and do you have the specs? you might need a custom chip if its off from stock a bit to far.

3. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

An engine running too rich or too lean can make the exhaust pretty hot.

4. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

With my dual exhaust & TPI I get hotspots under the seats and under the footwell for the rear passenger area. I still have carpet even for now:D. When I loose the carpet I imagine the problem will just get worse.

I am going to get a good 3" exhaust system built for the truck though which I am hoping will help the problem some and keep the exhaust a little further away from the floorpan.

Harley

5. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

Harley , I got it too , but I assume in our case its the cats getting the hot . You have two , I have one . My hottest spot is just above the cat which sticks about 4 inches rearward of the heat shield .

6. 1979jimmy350

1979jimmy350 1/2 ton status

i would guess the cat is the reason also, if you have a stock chip and a mild cam you are going to let a lot of unburned gas into the exaust causing the cat to get really hot, there are a few ways to solve this, one you should really get a chip to make the truck run the best it can, you could also cut the cat out but then your truck is still not running the best. I would suggest getting a chip and go from there