Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

hot start ?

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by K10ANDYKHAMNIC, Jul 18, 2003.

1. K10ANDYKHAMNIC

K10ANDYKHAMNIC 1/2 ton status

ok my truck is an 84 ex mil m1008 . im not sure what the po did to it for sure but i think they converted it to 12 volt in stead of 24 . it is really hot here like 120 deg . the other day i drove about 5 miles to run an errand and when i came out say about 5 minutes it wouldnt start , turned over really slow like a dead battery . it usually starts kinda slow like it cranks over once slow like then fires always starts tho . i got a jump , started it today no prob , is the alt not charging or what ? help or is there some other reason it doesnt wanna start ? does your truck fire right up ? thanks -Andy /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

2. DOCKAWI650

DOCKAWI650 Registered Member

sounds like what happened to me..I would drive it for about 5 minutes then let it sit for about a minute then all it would do is turn over...from what im told its the solenoid in the inector pump..im still yet to fix mine..

-Doc

3. ducttape114

ducttape114 1/2 ton status

heat creates high resistance in electrical stuff. so it could be that in the heat your alternator wiring is suffering. or you have a bad conection at you battery maybe?? mine used to be hard to start and cleaning the terminals usually helped. hope this helps.

4. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Could be a weak starter too. They suffer from the heat and without enough cranking speed it'll be hard to start.

Rene

5. ramjet gmc

ramjet gmc CK5 Staff Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

[ QUOTE ]
    heat creates high resistance in electrical stuff. so it could be that in the heat your alternator wiring is suffering. or you have a bad conection at you battery maybe?? mine used to be hard to start and cleaning the terminals usually helped. hope this helps.

[/ QUOTE ]

you are dead on
    /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    look at your grounding ( - wire ) is it on Aluminum if so i bet that is it Aluminum is not good with heat

6. DieselDan

DieselDan 1/2 ton status

You need to figure what exactly was done IF it was converted to 12V. The original CUCV starter was 24V, was is changed to 12V? Are you really charging both batteries (in parallel)? /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

7. K10ANDYKHAMNIC

it only has one battery and one alternator .so i assume it
    is now 12 volt ? its probly just a bad connection ... /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

8. Tybee

Tybee 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    it only has one battery and one alternator .so i assume it
    is now 12 volt ? its probly just a bad connection ... /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

[/ QUOTE ]Thats probably your problem, all GM diesels came with 2 batteries for wired in parallel for more starting power.

9. K10ANDYKHAMNIC

ok , but why would the battery be weak AFTER driving it ? it usually starts a lil slow but it starts . maybe its not getting charged enough or something hmmm /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

10. Tybee

Tybee 1/2 ton status

I have no idea, get your alternator tested.

11. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    ok , but why would the battery be weak AFTER driving it ? it usually starts a lil slow but it starts . maybe its not getting charged enough or something hmmm /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

The battery is fine, it's the engine that needs more than what one battery can provide once it's warm.
    That is why they have 2 batteries stock.
    Put another battery and wire it in parallel and then let us know.
    If you still have that problem then you have a problem either in the engine like I had, or the starter and that could be either the wiring, easy fix or the starter itself, rebuild or change.
    /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

12. u2slow

u2slow 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The heat of the engine is affecting the starter in its dying days. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

The starter on my 350 and the 6.2 both went like this. Cold starts were a little slow, hot starts very slow - eventually becoming impossible. They would just barely turn when bench tested. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif