Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Hot starter question

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by mercercadet, Jan 4, 2003.

1. mercercadet

mercercadet 1/2 ton status

Hey all,

got a problem with my starter on my 350 in my jeep. It gets really hot after I crank it up and takes like 30 mins to cool afterward /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif. it does have a set of aftermarket headers on it. I was wondering if ya'll might have any suggestions?

thanks

2. ChevyDrivnRdneck

ChevyDrivnRdneck 1/2 ton status

heat wrap and maybe a heat shield. They should have both at just about any parts store. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

If you're not able to re-start your truck after running it...the best thing to do is get a remote-solenoid setup for your starter. The heat created by the exhaust...in combination with the aftermarket headers - probably locating that heat closer to the starter...is not allowing your starter solenoid to operate until it cools down. A remote solenoid located in the engine bay will get rid of this problem.

Wait, now...just re-read your post. Is it getting excessively hot just by the cranking over of your engine...or is it like I said above (where you experience this only after driving a while) /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

4. boots

boots 1/2 ton status

5. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

I made my own heat sheild out of some tin to see if that was my problem and it seemed to take care of it.

6. 69K5

69K5 1/2 ton status

heavy 4x4 is right. thats what i did for mine. also used a coffee can to make a heatshield. all you need is some snips and a can opener for vent holes.

nathan
    69K5