Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Hot starter/ remote soleniod

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by muscle, Aug 19, 2002.

1. muscle

muscle 1/2 ton status

Can someone recommend a remote solenoid kit for my '77 blaze. The starter solenoid is getting hot from headers and I like the idea of relocating the solenoid on the fender wall. What is the installation process?

Thanks in advance. /forums/images/icons/cool.gif

2. twenty_below0

twenty_below0 1/2 ton status

I have the solenoid on the fender for that reason and still have the heat soke problem, not saying it's not a good idea but I would also buy the 20.00 heat shield to go with the set up, then you should be fine. You can get the solenoid's from Summit for cheap, and the heat shield as well good luck

3. muscle

muscle 1/2 ton status

What do you need to do to to install this? Does the old solenoid get tossed? Do you need to remove the starter to complete the wiring? Sorry, dumb questions probably but I need to understand before I do this. /forums/images/icons/confused.gif

4. big d

big d 1/2 ton status

im interested in knowing as well. i intend to do this soon also.

5. YtseJam

YtseJam 1/2 ton status

Just my personal opinion but, I wouldn't worry about relocating the Solenoid. A starter heat shield will do the trick nicely. Heat soak affects the starter motor itself, not the solenoid.

6. muscle

muscle 1/2 ton status

I will install a heat shield as well but the starter motor is so-far not affected by the heat as the solenoid is. So I think the combo heat sheild and remote solenoid is the way to go. Just wish someone would reply to the installation part of the question. /forums/images/icons/confused.gif

7. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> Installation is simple, no need to remove the starter, it's all wiring. I forget exactly what the wiring schematic is, but it is exceedingly simple. Summit sells a kit (part #SUM-G1750) for about $25 that has the starter, mounting bracket, all the wires you'll need and instructions. </font color>

8. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

Here is my personal experience. I have run cheap remanufactured starters for years. A new one would work good for a while and then either develop a "dead spot" or have hot start problems. I just changed the starter every year, using the lifetime warranty. Almost two years ago, I put in a Ford remote solenoid and I still don't have any problems at all with the starter. I have no heat sheild, as I found that it didn't do anything except make my starter swaps harder /forums/images/icons/smile.gif . I can still run the A/C full when it's 95 out. Shut it down for 2 minutes and it starts back up with just a quick turn of the key.

You can't throw out the solenoid that you have because it pushes out the gear that engages the flexplate/flywheel. It also times the engagement so that the starter motor doesn't spin until the gear is out. The purpose of the remote solenoid is to provide a nice low resistance path from the battery. The stock start wire (pink one) runs all over the place and is not very beefy. By running big wire from the battery to the remote solenoid to the starter solenoid, you get a lot of current for positive engagement of the contacts. I still have the stock wire from the battery to the starter solenoid. Then the pink wire engages the remote solenoid, which is wired to the "start" terminal of the starter solenoid with 8 gauge wire. This ensures that the starter motor current only sees the voltage drop of one set of contacts. Others do it differently, but I still think this is the best way.

9. ColAdo82K5

ColAdo82K5 1/2 ton status

hey,
    Get the Wells part numbers f492 or f490
    THese are both ford starter solenoids that bolt to the fender.
    Run a piece of metal to connect the two terminals on the starter. The little wire that ran to the "s" terminal on your starter now runs to the "s" terminal on the ford part. Cut your positive cable where ever you want the solenoid and put eye ends on the cable to hook it up to the ford part. any other lines to the big connection on the starter go the big hook up on the live side of the ford part. This solenoid makes a great connection point for any "live power" needs like stereo amps or whatever.
    Email or pm me for further info
    Blake