Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

hot starting prob.

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by blazinjimmy, Jul 17, 2006.

1. blazinjimmy

blazinjimmy Registered Member

Here's my prob.: Truck starts perfect when cold. But When hot, needs 20 min to cool down, before it'll start. I've put a new starter on it[had it taken off and re-checked]......2 selanoids[sp]..grounded battery & engine directly to frame...all help/suggestions would be appreciated.............thanks.

2. noahrob

noahrob 1/2 ton status Author

Remote solenoid away from the exhaust...Look in the tech section. Ping me if you can't find it.

3. ascuro

ascuro Registered Member

If your headers/exhaust pipes run real close to your starter, they may be heating it up too much. If that's the case, you won't hear any cranking at all when it's hot (but all other electrical will be working just fine).

4. blazinjimmy

Yes, my truck doesnt crank at all when hot....so maybe I'll have to run a remote solenoid?, I dont run headers, but will see exactly how close my exhaust manifold is to my starter. Thanks for the suggestions....I looked in the tech section-couldnt find the area of reference-help!

5. richheezee

richheezee 1/2 ton status

6. blazinjimmy

Cool.....thanks much for the info/diagram!! Hope this will solve my starting woes. [The solenoid pictured looks like the same as the one in the '84 diesel Jimmy I used to own-had to replace it twice!]

7. 3 on the tree

3 on the tree 1/2 ton status

I had the same problem with a header equipped Burb years ago. The factory heat shield was missing. I located another, and wrapped it with high heat insulation-problem solved.:D

8. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

yup--too hot!..

The starter can "heat soak",and it wont even click if it gets hot enough!--you need a heat sheild over the solenoid,and I've found that painting the starter with aluminum paint helps it reflect the heat off of it some...

I had one friends truck that did this every time you'd shut it off,and let it sit a few minites(like when you go for a burger ,etc)and it would refuse to start!--even jump starting it would not make the starter crank--but 10 minutes later it would crank over like nothing was wrong again!..

I ended up putting heavy gauge battery cables,extra ground cables,and a bunch of other work into it that didn't help much...then a stock car racer guy made him a heat sheild out of a hunk of chrome stovepipe ,and tack welded it to his header pipes on the starter side,and it never acted up again!! (chrome reflects the heat better than plain bare metal will)...the guy said his race car did the same thing after every race,until he added the sheild..:crazy:

9. blazinjimmy

This sounds exactly like my problem......maybe I'll try a heat sheild/wrap first....its a pain in the a$$ having to wait 10-20 min. eveytime I turn my rig off...............thanks for the input!