Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Hot Vs. Cold Plugs - Advice Needed

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 1986Blazer, Oct 30, 2001.

1. 1986Blazer

1986Blazer 1/2 ton status

I just replaced the plugs on my 86 350. I used AC Delco R43TS (gap .043). The manual calls for R45Ts (gap .045). What is the performance difference. Has anyone used both of these and if so what is the difference? Thanks for letting me know.

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/keywestk5/KeyWestK5.html>http://www.geocities.com/keywestk5/KeyWestK5.html</a>
    So I says to him, I said, "get your own monkey."
    1986 K5, 350 GM Crate, 700R4, NP208

2. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

i do not think there would be a noticable performance gain at all. Just make sure they are the right ones for your application [​IMG] I would use factory specs to gap them unless you have a mildly warm'd over engine or aftermarket heads. I gap mine @ .045 and it runs fine

-Zakk
    '77 K5 SB 400 TH350 NP203 p/t 6" Lift D60 14BFF 4.10's 36"Wrangler II's

[​IMG] CK5's MOAB 2002 OR BUST!! [​IMG]

3. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

See above. I couldn't agree more. Unless you have detonation problems, use the stock heat range plugs.

Tim
    '84 Chevy K10, lifted, loud, fast, and 3/4 ton axles

4. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

Could someone explain the whole heat range thing to me. I have wondered about this for a while. How does it work, and what is best for an MSD ignition system? I had a buddy with a 600+HP BBC and he had to run plugs that were 3 steps cooler form stock. Does it all depend on what the engine like? Is it a trial and error thing? Thanks

Harley

My Chevy isn't broken, its just out of gas.

5. RedDwarf

RedDwarf 1/2 ton status

Heat range is just a measure of how fast the plug can dissipate heat. "Colder" plugs dissipate the heat quicker. This can help eliminate mild pinging problems, whereas fouling can be reduced by going to a "hotter" plug. "Hotter" plugs won't make more spark or give you any more HP.

Like has been said, in most cases, stock is best.

Still Poundin' "pavment" after all these years!!! [​IMG]

6. DesertDueler

DesertDueler 1/2 ton status

I run plugs 4 steps colder in the firebird when I race on nitrous. I cant use them on the street because they foul to quickly. Trust me I already tried because I got sick of switch them out every friday. No as for performance gain, there is no performance gain. I have run stock heat range plugs on motor, and then the ones 4 steps colder. I ran .05 seconds quicker in the 1/4 mile with the colder plugs. If you can feel that 1 horsepower then go for it. But be ready to switch the plugs out more ofter because they like to foul out quickly.

86Jimmy 4"&35"MTRs,87 burb 4"&35"MT,69Firebird w/525 hp,and 70GTO live in PHX,AZ<a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/modifierperformance>My vehicles</a>

7. Zepplin

Zepplin 1/2 ton status

Check it out:
    http://community.webshots.com/user/zepplin1976

8. BIGRIG

BIGRIG 1/2 ton status

hey that is one sweet site all kinds of info..plus I 'm more of a picture guy anyway! ;)

MY DRINKING TEAM HAS A FOUR WHEELING PROBLEM![​IMG]