Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Hot water to Take a shower and Chill your beer.

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Pookster, Mar 7, 2002.

1. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

How would you like:

Hot water to take a shower?
    Ice water on a hot day?
    Keep your beer cool indefinately?

I got a plan!!!! And it doesnt use much electricity at all!!!

The theory:
    Use the AC system to chill water.
    Use extraneious exhaust heat to heat water.

The Practice:
    Use the AC line which is chilled and wrap it with 1/4th or 3/8th copper tubing, then insulate it from the engine compartment with foam. Depending on if you want ice water or if you want chilled beer, you will have to route appropriately, and also determine if you can close the system.

For heat, using copper tubing again, wrap it on part of the headders (using more headers if you want to be efficient)

Depending on how you want to use it, feed the water into an insulated steel tank. This will keep the water hot/warm long after the engine is turned off.

Using inline magneto water pumps (20 bucks), these units draw very little power, and will circulate the water.

Wacha guys think??? Questions? comments?

I think I will try building this!!

2. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

I think you nuts J/K and want to see pics, cold beer and a hot shower at the camp site would always be a good thing...

3. muddin4fun

muddin4fun 3/4 ton status

Just don't forget the instant fold up shower curtain...and make sure it's not see through!!! /forums/images/icons/mad.gif /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

4. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

Lol.. yeah.. I thought I was kinda crazy too, but I though how much the enjoyment would be to go wheeling for a day, be all muddy, see a bunch of Jeeps around, and you open your hood and take a shower, pull out a cold 6 pack?

There's more than just a small block in there!

The hot water part will be the easiest, because the exhaust headders are like 200+ degrees. There should be plenty of heat to steal from there. The only minor annoyances are the size of the onboard water that you can carry. I think I'll hook up a dual reading digital thermeter so I can have a hot/cold water temp reading. I think I can do the whole setup for under 100 bucks.

5. Burbinator

Burbinator 1/2 ton status

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.blazinobsession.com/shower.html>Here</a> is a similar design. I would be concerned with the fire safety factor of using a header as a heat source.

(Thanks to Ken @ BlazzinObsession)

6. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

As long as you had a water sourse it would work.

7. 87GMCJimmy

87GMCJimmy 1/2 ton status

The hot part would work great, but unfoutunated the cold side of the A/c doesn't get cold until the expansion valve, which is on the inlet to the evaporator, which is just a big coil of copper itself. You could re-routing the cold vent air into your cooler or maybe plum in a second coil like the trucks with dual air do. Just have the second coil in the cooler instead of feeding a second air cond. . Dam.... now you got me thinking.......about it.

Mike