Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Hotwire a 6.2l diesel?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 6.2LTrailblazer84, Aug 14, 2005.

1. 6.2LTrailblazer84

6.2LTrailblazer84 1/2 ton status

Does anyone know how to hotwire a 84 6.2l diesel from under the hood?

Someone broke into my truck and stole my alarm.. and they cut a lot of wires under there. Now when I try to start it the glow plugs don't seem to be activating properly and the starter doesn't seem to be connected to the ignition..

Is there someway I can bypass the ignition to just get it started?

2. Robert79K5

Robert79K5 1/2 ton status

Jump out the solonoid on the driver side inner fender. That will energise your glo plugs. Don't leave it jumped out though because your manually cycling them that way. Just cycle them as if you were the glo plug controller. Get power running to the orange/pinkish wire running to the top of the injector pump. That opens the fuel cut off solonoid. Then get power to the S terminal on the starter. (thats the small terminal on the starter with a couple of wires attached to it alredy. Should be closest to the engine. Know that when you put juice on that terminal the engine will start to turn over so be ready for it to start when you do that.

Good luck now.

3. 6.2LTrailblazer84

Thank you! If I can get it started like this it might save my truck! Seriously. IF I can't get it started the manager of my apartments might make me get rid of it. I hope it isn't something more serious wrong with it.

With this one.. do you use a large guage battery starting jumper-type cable?

And the others, do you have to use the same size wire that is being jumped?

And you have these 2 powered at the same time? and does one of them have to be continually powered?

Can you see the solonoid in this pic here.. or the general area..

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 14, 2005
  4. 6.2LTrailblazer84

Could someone walk me through this a little more... I am not sure how exactly to go about this.. :confused:

I am mainly wondering how you go about this: "Jump out the solonoid on the driver side inner fender. That will energise your glo plugs."

And what size wires to use when doing this for each connection so as not to hurt my truck..

5. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

read carefully...

Your glow plug relay is right behind the windsheild washer fliud tank in your picture..there is 2 small wires on the top of it in a plug...without disconnecting them,take a wire from a good ground,and touch it to the light blue wire on the top,its the closest one to the firewall out of the two...that should "energize" the relay,and start the glowplugs heating cycle--

DONT leave them on TOO long or you will either burn them up,or cause them to swell up,and be difficult or impossible to remove later!..no longer than 15 seconds at maximum...you might need 2 people,or to hook a remote pushbutton to the "S" terminal on the starter and to battery positive to get it started,since its impossible to be standing near the relay,and jumping the solenoid at the same time.

( I reccomnd using the remote pushbutton,use alligator clips to attach the wires to the solenoid and battery cable--its dangerous being under the truck to start it!...)

If you cant hear the relay "click" when you touch the ground wire to the blue one,then your "main power source" wire might have been cut--it comes from the starter solenoid,(where the positive battery cable bolts to the solenoid)--runs behind the motor,and goes to a plastic "junction" block next to the master cylinder on the firewall--you can use a jumper cable from the stud on that junction block to the battery positive terminal,to give power to the rest of the trucks electrical system....then the relay should work,and you can start it by energizing the glow plugs,and jumping the starter solenoid..

Some braver guys would just get the motor spinning,and use starting fluid WITHOUT energizing the glow plugs!,to get it started..but I hate using starting fluid,its hard on parts,could break a piston or something major--but it is quicker and easier to do it this way,a bit risky though..(remember,you MUST have 12V"hot wire" going to the fuel shutoff switch on the ingector pump for it to KEEP running!)--

good luck,I hope you can get it fired up!--I'd hate to hear someone junked a good 6.2 just because they couldn't jump a few wires!--It sounds harder than it is to do... I could probably get it going in 15 minites or so!--but your truck might not fire right up if it has sat idle for a long time--might be worth having it towed someplace where you can spend more time on it without getting in trouble with the landlord! :doah: --it could take a bit of tinkering to get it running again.(might have air in the fuel lines,etc--).:crazy:

6. 6.2LTrailblazer84

Thank you so much Diesel4me! Thanks for the detailed explanation. I just don't have much experience with electrical and worry about hurting stuff.

Does it matter what size wire I use to jump this stuff? I'm going to go to the parts store and get some wire and alligator clips..

Also.. when I turn my ignition on with the key it seems like the glow plugs turn on.. and you see the battery gauge needle sag and then it seems like the glow plugs don't go off.. and it just stays like that for a long time..

and then when you turn the key to initiate the starter, the starter does nothing.. no click or anything..

Also.. I have the Haynes diesel repair book... if anyone has this book and knows of any information here that might help. Most of the stuff in there is like greek to me though.

7. 6.2LTrailblazer84

Is there a way I can tell if power is all ready going to the fuel shutoff switch? I guess just get a test light?

8. diesel4me

some more info..

I'd use at least the same gauge wire as whatever your jumping has on it factory..thicker is better,no chance of overloading it.(I'd say 12 or 14 gauge shuold be sufficient)--BUT use a heavy wire or jumper cable to bring battery positive to that "junction" block I told earlier about!--that supplies the whole truck,and needs to be a thick wire--.IF you need to!--if your glow plug relay and fuel shutoff get power when the key is "on",you wont have to jump that junction block...

Yes,you can use a test light to check for power at the fuel shutoff solenoid--or leave the key on,and take the wire off it and touch it to it again--it should click and you might see a spark if its getting juice--the test light is a more acuurate test..you can test the glow plugs for power with the test light too..turn on the ignition and see if any of them have juice(wires are green on most diesels glow plugs)..touch the test light to the wires on the glow plugs..(ground the test light of course!)---.--if you get no power from the ignition,you'll have to run a jumper cable from the battery positive to the junction block on the firewall,that has a thick red wire on it,to be able to energize the glow plugs..,by grounding the light blue wire as I explained earlier..

One note though--since your truck was vandalized,and wires were cut,its safe to assume some might be touching ground that shouldn't be,and might cause a short,and a wire fire!--be ready to dissconnect the batteries if need be,in a hurry,to avoid a meltdown!...

The procedures I explained will work fine on a 'normal" truck,but since yours was vandalized,I cant gaurrantee you wont have any problems!...so if it goes up in smoke,I dont want you holding me responsible! (Might be why no one else responded earlier!).. :doah: --just a small "disclaimer" :crazy: I'd look for a member close by who knows diesels a bit better and see if they could help in person,that would be best if your not really sure of what you are doing--cheaper than a new wiring harness.....you will probably have to recharege the batteries at least once,its unlikely it will fire up immediately..good luck,and be careful! :crazy:

9. 6.2LTrailblazer84

Thanks again! I really appreciate it! :bow:

I would never try to hold someone responsible for any damage for giving advice. I realize you couldn't possibly know exactly how to fix my vehicle without having seen it. I am just looking for any possible ways of getting it started.

Also, I have a digital camera.. I could try to take a picture of the wiring where the alarm was stolen. I don't know if they vandalized the wiring.. but someone took the valve stems out of 2 of my tires which ruined them and forced me to get some new tires.

I think they did this to force me to get rid of the vehicle because they probably just thought it would never run again not knowing how much money has been put into it. So I also wonder if these same people stole my alarm and maybe did something to my vehicle to force me to get rid of it which would frree up a parking space I guess? this is just a guess.. I didn't notice anything other than the tires purposely damaged.

But they did steal several items from my truck.. such as a couple loose interior pieces.. the ball from my 4wd shift lever and even an electrical switch that probably powered a power rear window at one time.. so it is possible they stole some elements from the electrical system.

I have a "10/2/50 AMP Manual Battery Charger/Engine Starter"... but I am kind of far from a power outlet.. I have an extremely long heavy duty 3 prong extension cord.. but I read you aren't supposed to put these rechargers on a power cord.. I don't know if this cord is heavy duty enough.

10. diesel4me

good luck..

You should be golden unless the outlet is 150ft away or something..that size battery charger doesn't draw that many amps--as long as its a decent extension cord you wont have any problems..

It must suck living at a place where theives vandalize your truck!--I've been very lucky where I live,and lately,our small town has had its share of crime as well..I hope they dont mess with my trucks,or I'm gonna have to mess them up!...I used to live in several apartments--had my doors stolen right off my 72K5 I had years ago!..I'll never forget waking up after a foot of snow had fallen--and seeing it INSIDE my truck,with the doors missing!.. :eek1: :doah: :mad:

I used to leave my CB on all night,with a rubber band holding the mike keyed,and I'd have a walkie talkie on the same channel (I used a "dead" channel #6) sort of like a "baby monitor" intercom! :haha: --I could not sleep knowing my "baby" might be violated during the night!..I did catch some crooks breaking in thanks to the CB--but thats what they were after in the first place! :doah: --but I caught them in the act,and brought a cop with me..they spent a week in jail,then I had to watch over my shoulder for retaliation the rest of the time I lived there!--no one else messed with my truck though.. :D ..good luck getting yours started--maybe you should tow it somewhere else??...

11. 6.2LTrailblazer84

That's brutal! :eek1: I just can't believe how people can do this kind of stuff. I honestly couldn't live with myself doing something like that to someone..

That is a great idea.. I was thinking of doing something similar but was trying to figure out soime way to use one of those light sensors that turn on when someone is near.. but instead would notify me at home.. I guess they have 2 way car alarms now.. I am trying to find one that isn't too expensive.

Awsome! Get em! haha Too bad thy only got a couple weeks in jail. :( Not much of a deterrent when you consider how rare people even get caught doing that kind of thing. :mad:

I'm glad nothing happened.. that would suck to have someone retaliate for you protecting your own stuff

I am probably going to move it to a different space where I can see it better. If I put a new alarm in it I doubt anyone will mess with it. I don't think someone broke into it until my batteries died and they knew the alarm wasn't powered.. hopefully.

12. 6.2LTrailblazer84

I havn't had a chance to try to start it yet.. but I got some wires to use to jump it and I took some pictures of my wiring where the alarm and stereo were stolen..

You probably can't make any sense of this.. but I thought I would give it a shot anyway..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. diesel4me

Butchers!!

Yes,they did cut quite a few wires,huh??...I see in the next to the last picture they cut the thick purple wire from your ignition,which is the one that makes the solenoid start cranking when you turn the key to "start"--it looks like they cut it just before the neutral safety switch,which is located at the bottom of the steering colum..it goes thru that switch,then out to the starter solenoid..

Good luck!--looks like your going to need some! :eek1: :crazy:

14. 6.2LTrailblazer84

So will it not work now because somehting was cut out that I need? Or can I still hotwire it.. I was going to try to hotwire it today.

What if I got a new alarm and put it in there.. would that make this whole thing easier?

15. diesel4me

Sorry--didn't mean to confuse you!...

You can hotwire away!..I was just commenting on how many wires were cut--that purple wire ,if reconnected,might allow it to crank over by the key,if nothing else was cut!..

But for now,I'd just hotwire it the way I described!--once you get it running,you can worry more about getting all the original wires hooked back up!..GET TO WORK!! :deal: :rotfl: :rotfl: :haha: :crazy:

16. 6.2LTrailblazer84

I'm scared!! :eek1: :crazy:

My truck is RIGHT in front of the managers apartment and I am afraid if I can't get it started the hammer will drop.. So I feel like I gotta be totally prepared and it has to work the first time I take that battery charger down thre and start cranking away on the starter! :eek1: :eek1: :eek1:

17. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

you still havent tried it yet? get to it man, you wont fry anything(well probally not) and hey it cool to see a little arcing and sparking everynow andd than
    seriously it's been 2 hours, get to it. :D

18. 6.2LTrailblazer84

Ok.. ok.. haha I'll go!

19. mudslinger99

mudslinger99 1/2 ton status

Damn man that sucks :mad: I have seen/heard about peoples truck getting broke in to but never stealing the alarm that was ment to help prevent the break in in the 1st place :shocked:

It sucks to have some no good theif steal what you have worked hard to come by in the 1st place... I had a truck tool box and all the contents worth about $5000 bucks stole a few years back so I know how it feels :angry1: I would have liked to have caught them in the progress of stealing it but then I wouldn't have to tell the story because you might have already heard about it on the news :D

20. 6.2LTrailblazer84

I just went down there.. i don't see how you get to the S terminal on the starter.. i can't even see thestarter solenoid from anywhere on the vehicle hardly..

I put a test light on the blue wire of the glow plug relay and it is getting power..

I can't find the fuel shut-off switch wih the pink and peach wire though.. where is that located?

Last edited: Aug 16, 2005