Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Hotwire a K5? Wife has all the keys at work

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Sample, Aug 14, 2003.

1. Sample

Sample 1/2 ton status

Can someone tell me how I can get my '83 K5 started without keys? My wife took both sets of keys with her to work and I need to get to work.

2. Calclips

Calclips 1/2 ton status

Swartz Creek, Michigan/Flint while in school
    I don't know, not in the truck stealing biz...

TTT anyways.

3. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Gotta remove the steering wheel, and figure out how to keep the locking "pin" disengaged...if it pops up when you are driving, your more than likely gonna crash. I believe the transmission shifter is also "locked out" without the key, at least for those of you with automatics.

You can always run a lead straight from the battery to the distributor, jump the starter terminals with a screwdriver, and be done with that part. But getting around the column issues, without destroying it, or spending hours trying, isn't going to be easy.

This is why to effectively protect a GM vehicle with this style column, (cars or trucks) you need to shield the column where the key is.

4. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

Jumping started solenoid with a screwdriver, wire to distributor as mentioned but the steering column will take you probably as long as it would take your wife to get home. Fords are nice cause the solenoid is on teh fender so you never have to climb under it, helps when you don't want to be conspicuous in stealing a vehicle. Not from personal experience just happen to know. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif Of course if you want to damage the steering column crow bar that locking setup out and grab the pliers and go.... But that won't end well when its time to fix it.

5. 75-K5

75-K5 3/4 ton status

Now is the time when you wish you had a first-gen. Dash ignition=no locking wheel /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif. Good luck.

6. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

My question is, why does your wife have keys to your truck at all? That's a far worse problem than not being able to get to work!