Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

house alarm systems

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by RootBreaker, Mar 9, 2007.

1. RootBreaker

RootBreaker 3/4 ton status Premium Member

Aight so I have lived in my house for a few years....
    we went on vacation to Disney 3 years back and since it was our first time away from this house we called adt and had the alarm turned on (was in the house when we moved in). Ever since we have turned the alarm on at night... just in case our son tries opening a door to outside....
    we had a few false alarms... batteries going dead in glassbreaks and stuff.. even once the door from the garage into the house was cracked and not pushed shut and just crept open and set the alarm off.... boy is that nerve racking trying to go back to sleep...

so last night our alarm goes off... I jump up thinking it is my alarm clock (we do not have a siren on our house just the internal loud beep, beep, beep.... alarm sensor x beep beep beep..... so I realized it wasnt my alarm clock and didnt realize the phone was ringing (adt)... so I quickly ran downstairs checking the doors... next I reach for the phone and miss the call.... I Call ADT and they say they are on the phone with the police... I said dont worry about it....
    that was until I hung up and realized our sliding glass door was unlocked !!!!!
    so now I dont own a gun and I cant as my son is fascinated with them so that would be a bad combination.. my dog is older and fricken slept through it so I went upstairs and woke my wife (as she was going back to sleep)... I have some knives that are really sharp...so I grab one and get the wife and dog out of bed (yeah our dog sleeps at the foot of the bed.. spoiled bitch!!!! HAH) so now we go through the entire house.... and all is good.....
    It is so hard to go back to sleep after that crap..... I dont think I live in a really bad neighborhood (williamstown) but we have had someone going in cars that are unlocked and taking change, ipods, cells and cd's.....
    now I can say paying for an alarm system when you have a family is worth it....

I still do not know if anyone opened the back door but cmon... the sliding glass door does not trigger the alarm itself....
    all my alarm pieces are wireless and have been flawlessly working so far...
    I was given a computer that is from a camera system... havent got it up and running yet but now im gonna get motion sensor lights and my cameras on the sides of the house....

2. BulldogK5

BulldogK5 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

You can check your control panel or get adt to tell you what device triggered the alarm. Then you would know if it was the glass door or not.

3. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

I used to have one, but I moved out of town and don't feel the ned anymore. It was nice while in town.

4. greywolf

greywolf 1/2 ton status

do you have the simon 3.1?push the status button it will tell you what happend.
    what sensor do you have on the glass door?

5. RootBreaker

RootBreaker 3/4 ton status Premium Member

i know what it was... when they turned the alarm on (previous owners had it installed)... I wrote in pencil the zone on each unit... so I know my garage door is zone 2 and zone 4 is the back door... well the alarm was saying...

WARNING ZONE 4 ALARM.....beep beep beeep... WARNING ZONE 4 ALARM.....:eek1:

so when i got to it.. and looked up at the door sensor and saw 4 on it.. I looked down and saw that it was unlocked.... I about crapped a brick cuz the hairs on the back of my neck stood up...

6. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

Wow, that would wake me up quick. I double check every door before going to bed, and now I have video survellience/DVR on key areas of the house.

I can imagine that would be really nerve wracking to try to go back to sleep after. If the perp wasn't smart (he's robbing a house, how smart can he be?), he may have been hanging out to see what happened. More likely he hightailed it when the alarm went off, but as the boy scouts say, be prepared.
    I would move the sensor if you made any kind of indication, like looking up, as to where it was when you checked it. If he was watching the door and saw you do that, he may now know where the sensor is and be working on a way to disable it.
    It's probably paranoid, though...

BTW, it's good to live in a good neighborhood and have reduced odds of being a break-in victim, but if you live in an absolutely great neighborhood, and an intruder tries just once, it may be your house he experiments on...

With all the home invasions we've had in my area in the last 2/3 years, my wife actually asked me to teach her how to use my rifle. I'm going to take her to the range when we're in Florida and teach her how to shoot. The blind leading the blind... :rotfl:

7. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

I would definately take a round and make sure that eveything is locked from now on.