Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

house paint on a truck?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by y5mgisi, Nov 19, 2003.

1. y5mgisi

y5mgisi 1 ton status

Could it be done?? And how would i mix it(thiner and all that stuff) to make it turn out right and runn through my spray gun. The reason i wanna do this is becasue of the cost of automitive paint. A place around here wanted over 120 bucks for 1 gallon of automotive paint but i could get 5 gallons of house paint for under 50! /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

2. CHEVY 4WD

CHEVY 4WD 1/2 ton status

Im pretty sure it wil crack,chip,peel, & fade
    $120 isent that bad and you shouldent need more then a gallon. If you really dont wanna dish that kinnda $$$ out and really want to paint it go to a local hardware store even regular enamel is better then "house paint"

3. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

Seeing the title brought back memories of a truck i saw. It had house paint put on w/ a brush. You could see the brush strokes in it. Heres my OPINION. If it worked I think more people would do it, even on an offroad only rig. Also, if it did stick, and protect the metal, it would probably look pretty crappy. Just my opinion again. House paint needs something fairly gritty (wood) to stick to. Metal is pretty much smooth and that paint would probably peel right off. Go get a quart, thin it, and spray a piece of sheet metal and see. Maybe youve found something, atleast ive never thought of.

4. gzzgfw

gzzgfw 1/2 ton status

Sure you can, Not Latex, I built my K5 this summer. I bought a gallon of ALKYD paint and had it colored at Menards for less than $22 a gallon.
    See it here http://www.geocities.com/ncifw/bigbirdpage.html
    Alkyd paint is an man made oil based paint, that is basically floor paint and is used for wrought iron and equipment. Enamels are generally petroleum based. It sprays on thick and stays thick. Great for a trail vehicle that needs protection from the elements. Check it out. I didn't want a super glossy paint so I think my was satin or just gloss.
    It works, ALKYD!

5. CHEVY 4WD

CHEVY 4WD 1/2 ton status

enamel isent thick after you thin it
    most spray paint is enamel some is laquar

6. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    Could it be done?? And how would i mix it(thiner and all that stuff) to make it turn out right and runn through my spray gun. The reason i wanna do this is becasue of the cost of automitive paint. A place around here wanted over 120 bucks for 1 gallon of automotive paint but i could get 5 gallons of house paint for under 50! /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

have done it and seen it done several times on past trucks, just some oil base paint works, farm equipment places have it, actually doesnt look bad, and has a shine to it, would be great for trail or work trucks

7. 75-K5

75-K5 3/4 ton status

Yeah, farm implement paint works well too for a beater truck. You can just brush it on. I'm bout to slap a coat of John Deere green on my c20. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

8. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

I'd suggest spending a few bucks more and getting paint that will stick to the thing. I used black Zero Rust, it was only $55 bucks for a gallon, I put on 2 coats with my non-HVLP spray gun (read:lots of paint lost in the air) that covered great and still have 1/3 of a gallon left to paint parts in the future. It cured in about 2 weeks and it's really hard and durable, plus it prevents rust.

9. y5mgisi

y5mgisi 1 ton status

Awsome! Glad to hear from people who can tell about stuff from experence /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif. So what all should i get (like thinner and stuff)when useing the "wrought metel/ floor paint" stuff and in what proportions?(like 4oz to 1 gallon)I like the Idea of the ZERO RUST but i like the Idea of going to the local hardware store to pick it up alittle more /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gifAgain thanks for the info. CK5 rules! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

10. k5guyva

k5guyva 1/2 ton status

One thing that hasn't been mentioned is marine paint. Boat (and ships) have been made from metal for years. And the paint have to survive for years in very harsh conditions. Marine paints are formulated to steel boats as well as fiberglass. Now, boat paint is kinda pricey. And it doesn't come in lots of exciting colors. But, if you want a paint that can be rolled, sticks to metals and lasts in tough conditions, it's worth a look.

/forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

11. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

You can go to a local store to pick more up, you just have to figure out who carries it. Lots of places have access to it but in my area no stores had it in stock. The place I got it from had it in 1 day since there was a local distributor that had it. Just call them up and they can tell you who carries it in your area, they were real nice on the phone, I chatted with some old dude for quite a while.

They recommend thinning with (if I remember correctly) 20% Xylene for spraying it on. FYI, other colors can cost more, I was going to use yellow but it was like $115 a gallon. Apparantly quality yellow pigment is expensive though, so other colors are probably cheaper.

Zero-Rust is designed for direct to metal application, no primer is needed. You can paint over old paint but you don't get the rust-preventative benefits. Also, if you look at the pictures on the site they have stuff like car haulers and dumpsters that were painted with it. If it's durable enough for that stuff it's definately durable enough for trail use...

12. ryoken

ryoken Puppy Fabricator Premium Member GMOTM Winner

marine paint is usually Awlgrip or Imron. both are comparible pricewise to an automotive paint (in fact, Imron started out as an auto fleet finish back in the 70's). Awlgrip can be rolled and tipped for a decent finish, Imron cannot... both run upwards of $150 a gallon..

one marine paint that would be decent is a one part (no catalyst) called Unepoxy (it's used for bildges). durable and it only runs about $60, 70 a gallon...

13. Robert79K5

Robert79K5 1/2 ton status

check out E-Bay. Theres a guy on there who constantly sells one step acrylic automotive paint in various colors for $35.00 a gallon plus $12.00 for shipping in the U.S.
    Im going to order some from him soon to paint my daily driver. Ill keep you all posted on how well it worked if your interested.

14. tecton

tecton 1/2 ton status

two words

rust-
    oleum
    /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

15. k5guyva

k5guyva 1/2 ton status

Interlux makes a primer coat that works well on steel. Follow that up with a top coat with UV protection, like Brightside. And marine paint provides a nice finish if you have decent surface prep.

http://www.yachtpaint.com/usa/

16. JK5

JK5 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

If YOU use house paint..Do NOT use latex...
    It doesn't stick to steel..

If you want cheap automotive paint..
    Get some Sherwin Williams Synthetic Enamel..
    The fleet colors are pretty cheap.. $40 a Gallon.

17. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

My dad went to Wilco Farm Store here in Canby and bought implement paint for $20/gallon /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

18. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

not only that, they dont like constant water- it will become porous, providing no protection for the metal.

19. JK5

JK5 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Since it's water-based...
    It should start rusting right away.. /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

20. boggerless

boggerless 1 ton status Premium Member

i used grabber green engine enamel, shines in a few spots. easy touch up and the summer heat won't hurt it. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif no kidding /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gifto /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif