Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

House Painting Questions

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by BlazerGuy, Jun 9, 2004.

1. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

Well I gotta paint a house.

What should I do to clean it off? Pressure washer or some kind of bleach solution in one of those spray bottles that screws on the end of the hose?

Anybody use one of those Wagner Sprayers? A friend of mine had one and I was thinking about borrowing it. Which is better, spraying or just using an old-school roller?

Any other tips or tricks would be greatly appreciated... /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

2. ramjet gmc

ramjet gmc CK5 Staff Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

Wagner Sprayers?

i have one -- it is junk it spits the paint on and looks like crap --

i think you should call a rental place and look at the large units that fit the 5 gal pails i have used them it make for fast and good work -- and i think it was like $70 with everthing 2 days

3. Storm Trooper

Storm Trooper 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Dillon Colorado, Hang'in in the mountains. Renting
    Power washing is good. Do not use bleech. Use a mild mixture of TSP (tri-sodium-phosphate) available at hardware stores.
    It always helps to know what type of material you are painting.. ie wood type etc.
    Make sure you check for any loose spots or chipping and take care of them 1st. Renting an airless sprayer will make it fast but you will need to mask everything off and have the time to kick it out in a weekend (as said above).
    Don't forget to caulk anything needed after scraping. The better the prep., the better the job.

4. 83ZZ502_Jimmy

83ZZ502_Jimmy 1/2 ton status

Pressure Washer is good, but make sure you let the surface dry really well. Moisture under the paint results in failed paint. Also, don't use a small degree tip (ie 0*). Use at least a 25* to 45* fan pattern tip on the PW.

Like said, prep is the key.

Renting an airless is good, make sure to mask anything not needing or wanting paint. A brush is sometimes the best way to apply paint/stain depending on surface. Stucco can be done with a thick to medium nap roller, depending on how large the texture is.

John

5. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

(((((I see this thing on TV alot.)))))) [​IMG] husky
    1750 PSI Electric Pressure Washer
    Model 165019
    Internet Catalog #165019
    Store SKU#360722

No assembly required. Comes with heavy duty brass quick connect, convenient storage caddy, corrosion resistant metal axle, new vario lance that adjusts pressure on demand. Features NEW 360 deg. otating handle, NEW detachable hose, NEW "Anti-Pinch Trigger" and turbo spray wand attachment for the toughest cleaning jobs.

Price: $179.00

This item cannot be gift boxed
    - Usually ships in 2-3 business days.
    - Special return rules apply to this product.

SPECS
    #
    Internet ID: 165019
    #
    Brand: husky
    #
    Model #: 165019
    #
    PSI: 1750 PSI
    #
    UPC CODE: 636893175091
    WARRANTY AND SAFETY
    #
    For warranty information on this product, please call our Internet Customer Service Center at 1-800-430-3376.
    2004 Homer TLC, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Use of this site is subject to certain
    terms of use which constitute a legal agreement between you and the Home Depot, Inc.

6. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

Thanks for the replies! /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

I'll have to look into renting one of those airless sprayers. How difficult are they to use? Just thin the paint and then point-n-shoot?

I think the house is a combo of brick and wood. I don't have a clue as to what type of wood it is though.

I was shooting for this weekend to do it, but I think that won't work since it's been raining like a mofo here for the past few days and it won't be dried up by the weekend... /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

7. Storm Trooper

Storm Trooper 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Dillon Colorado, Hang'in in the mountains. Renting
    No problem pressure washing in the rain as long as you don't get hit with a bolt of lightning ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif
    If you have alot of brick, the brush & roller might be easier.