Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

House/Pet Sitting Fee?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by shewheeler, Aug 21, 2003.

1. shewheeler

shewheeler 1/2 ton status

My work wants to send me to Virginia for a week and a half. The problem is that I have 2 dogs and a lizard that need tendin' to while I'm out of town. I want to try to find a house/pet sitter, but I'm not sure how much cash to offer up for payment.

I could kennel my dogs and just have someone come and feed the lizard, but the kennel charges $15 per dog, per day /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif It adds up REAL fast.

What's the going rate these days for house sitting? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

The job would basically just entail feeding the dogs daily and making sure no one robs the place.

Thanks /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

2. Capman2k

Capman2k 3/4 ton status

My friend's family used to have me feed their cat and water their plants when they went on their annual vacation thing to some lake... They gave me $30 for the week...

I'd say $50 is reasonable... cheaper than the kennel, but not so little that you're wasting the persons time... unless of course you have one of those cool friends that doesn't require cash payment in return for a favor once in a while /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. rampage

rampage 1/2 ton status

I had someone housesit my dog a few years ago, cute girl /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif . She stayed with him for about an hour, fed and played with him. She charged $35/day. I'm not sure if someone will charge more for multiple pets or not. If you go to your local dog park there should be flyers there for people who do that, and ask around there too. Dogs are happier when they stay in their own home. If you put them in a kennel there's a good chance they will get kennel cough.

4. rugger03

rugger03 1/2 ton status

I live In what would be considered an average suburb of chicago going rate here is $35 a day.

5. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

How big is the lizard? I need a new pair of boots /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

As for the dawgs, are they docile?

As for Virginia, watch a NASCAR race and wait for Ward Burton to be interviewed. That's the way they talk back there, make sure you can understand them /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. Skigirl

Skigirl 1/2 ton status

I travel a lot and have someone live at the house while I'm gone. Feeds all the dogs (3) plays with them, feeds and plays with the cats (6). Waters the plants. Brings in the mail. I pay her $20 a day. Always someone home that way. See if you can find somebody younger (20's), responsible and where your house is much kewler than where they live! No parties tho and no one but them in the house without your prior approval.

7. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> Might be hard in Hollister, but I'd suggest trying to find a nice responsible college kid that wants to get away from Mom and Dad for awhile. They'd probably do it for free... </font>

8. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

A buddy of mine asked to sit at his house for a week and a half to watch his Golden Reteriver. Ended up getting $50 for food, $50 cash, use of the car and cable modem, I watched one dog. They ended up coming home early so it was more like 8 days.
    Biggest problem was the dog would not eat with no one home, she ate plunty when I was there, they where happy. I spent about $40 on food, took $60 home, rented movies on their account and got free movie coupons to an advanced preview of the Italian Job, plus I got out the house for a little bit and had free run of a FAST cable modem. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

9. big pappa b

big pappa b 3/4 ton status

Don't you have any friends that would be will to come over a couple times a day to let the dogs out? we just went on vacation for 3 weeks and I had my neighbor feed the dog and 2 cats. I haven't paid them yet /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif

10. shewheeler

Thanks everyone for your input.

At $35/day, it would be cheaper to kennel them /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

I called my cousin this morning to see if one of her kids would be interested. I worry because they are young and I know what I used to do when I was house-sitting /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Yes, I could have a friend come over and feed them, but my dogs are somewhat needy and it would be better if someone was actually staying there. I will figure something out.

Thanks again /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

11. Skigirl

Skigirl 1/2 ton status

I think you could do better than $35 a day and the dogs don't have to stay in a kennel - home is so much better if they are needy types and you're gone.

12. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> Since your work wants to send you to Virginia, can you try to get them to pay for the Kennel fees? </font>

13. shewheeler

[ QUOTE ]
    <font color="green"> Since your work wants to send you to Virginia, can you try to get them to pay for the Kennel fees? </font>

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, I wish, but no. They asked me to go, but if I can't make it for whatever reason, they will just ask the next person in line to go in my place. Basically, the offer is an opportunity for me to advance myself, so I really feel like it's in my best interest to go. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

14. gokartergo

gokartergo 3/4 ton status Staff Member Moderator

If worse comes to worse.. We can go feed them.. But sorry not going to stay there.. Throught Danielle a few dollars and she'll play with the dogs.. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif