Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Houston folks: Problem solved!! (And, a cautionary tale for idiots like me)

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by xanthias, Jul 22, 2005.

1. xanthias

xanthias 1/2 ton status

Crap, this is embarrassing, but if any Houston-area folks could lend a hand, here's the deal:

Cliff's Notes:

I need someone in the Houston area to rescue me if at all possible. I've got the SuperDuty stuck about 100 yd. off the road in the mud (we've had torrential rain the last few days). I need someone tomorrow if at all possible to avoid further problems. There's 100 bones in it for anyone who can help me!!

Long story:

As with so many idiotic ventures, I totally did not have to do this. A new subdivision is being cleared near where I live. They've been carving this out of the woods for weeks. Every single time I go by it, I've itched to get off in it. So, I picked today of all days to give her a whirl. Locked up up, dropped in the 4x4 and set off--had a ball and made it all the way in and halfway back out. Moron mistake #1: wheeling alone. Moron mistake #2: no winch or lockers.

Of course, you know what happens next. The earth drops out from under me and I drop into a mudhole the size of a small country. I knew I was in trouble immediately. I could reverse back about 30' but could not get enough mud cleared out of the tires or momentum to make it out of the nice ditch I'd made for myself. I hung it up before I got buried to the frame or overheated. A decent truck with mud tires with a winch or a strap (which I have) could get me out in 15 minutes, I think.

I am willing to part with bucks for this kindness, and endure all the heckling I so richly deserve. I do need to get out of there as soon as possible tomorrow, though, because I don't want anyone showing up claiming I'm trespassing or something like that. If anyone can help, I'd be forever grateful.

Update: Got -r- out. Details below for your laughing pleasure.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2005
  2. unclematty

unclematty 1/2 ton status

Damn! wish I was a little closer! Time to call out the calvery :doah:

3. The Butcher

The Butcher 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I don't have a winch on my suburban, the Blazer is at the mechanics getting the multi-mount front hitch custom fabbed, and the dually is out at my buddies place in Santa Fe (plus it's not street legal and my other friends trailer is an hour and a half north in Magnolia). I've got a couple of tow straps, but not enough to stretch 100'. What area of town are you in? If you're on the north side (Tomball area) I might be able to get someone from that side of town to help you out tomorrow. If you're on the south side (anywhere near Santa Fe) I'll tell my buddy to take my dually down there and yank you out. I'm sure he'd love to do that. I'm near the Galleria area.

Which of us is closest?

4. xanthias

xanthias 1/2 ton status

FIRST, thanks for the replies and offers to help. You guys rock.

Now, "the rest of the story"

1. NO PICS. Sorry, but it was pitch black out there (got back to the rig about 10pm). So, I'll describe it. The truck is listing to starboard about 15 degrees, I'm down to the axle tube on the front passenger side. Nice long trench from my attempts to reverse and then drive & saw my way out.
    2. Handy user tip: If you drive a fat-arse Superduty, you just might want to consider a) wheeling with a buddy; or, b)an equally fat-arse winch!
    3. Note: Powerstroke diesel engines are HEAVY. They sho' don't float.
    4. Friend-of-a-friend-of-an-acquaintance came out, with (God bless 'em) his wife and kiddo. He's driving--------sigh-------might as well admit it now: Jeep XJ on 33" A/T's.
    5. He and I get a look at the situation, we are both mighty skeptical. To his credit, he's game, though. But, between us, we've got enough shackles and straps to reach me. There is a piece of heavy equipment (one of those foundation packers with the 8 skinny wheels) about 30' to my port side. So, we slap a snatch block there to give us a tad of force multiplication and a sideways pull.
    6. We decide, wisely, to dig a 45 degree dirt ramp leading from my passenger front tire and backfill the trench I'd made, so hopefully, she would ease right on out of the ditch I was carving on the starboard side.
    7. We give her a go, but our timing is off, I try to run before he's got adequate tension on the line to help me, so no dice. Do some more digging. While I'm sweating through my clothes in the 1000% humidity, I'm thinking: "Just had to wheel it, didn't ya, fat boy . . . "
    8. We get the tension way up (he's in 4LOW pulling--not using winch) and I hit it; sure enough, like the Queen Mary, she slips into line and comes on out. The heavy equipment is pulled forward 3 feet in the process (seriously. it was kinda cool). Suddenly, my spirits are soaring. There is no better feeling than getting un-broke or un-stuck.

I'm so grateful, I drop some cash on the guy, apologize to his wife and give him my Hi-Lift as an extra thanks for coming out. Major bonus: he's a wheeler too, as you probably guessed, and I think I made another friend.

Aftermath: I roll down to the gas station and get $20 in quarters. I head over to the hi-pressure wash and start feeding that thing quarters (right below the "Positively NO Mud" sign--hey, I had no choice). As I'm getting mud out of all the nooks and crannies on the undercarriage, and mostly on to me, two thoughts strike me over and over: 1. How the hell did mud get there??; and 2. This is the DUMBEST thing you've done in a while, button-head.

I left about an acre of clay mud in the wash bay and it still isn't clean. I'll go at it again in the driveway tomorrow.

I roll in at 2 am. The wife is up in the kitchen. She just shakes her head, smiles and goes to bed.

5. unclematty

unclematty 1/2 ton status

Smile, ya just learned the hard lesson, better luck next time. :D

6. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

:haha: At least you can laugh at yourself, and it turned out all right in the end.

FWIW, I've done similar but had a friend with me and we managed to dig/push and coerce the fat pig out of the mud on our own. It was funny afterwards, but at the time i had visions of having to walk home (probably 10 miles to the nearest house, and 40 miles from home :doah: )

Rene

7. 85mudblazin

85mudblazin 1/2 ton status

8. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

Really????????????????????????????????????????????

Let me be the first to congratulate you for attempting to **** up the sport for the rest of us..........................

9. protechk5

protechk5 1/2 ton status

haha yeah good thing no donut eaters saw ya

10. xanthias

xanthias 1/2 ton status

Not trying to flame or argue, but I should make it clear I was not tearing anything up, driving on posted land or disturbing any part of the work site. It was just a patch of rough clear close to my house. Hard to describe without pics. Since you weren't there, I'd appreciate it if you'd give me the benefit of the doubt.

If you know any of the guys over at Texas4x4.org, I think you'll hear universally that I'm a responsible wheeler and not a bad guy to have around. Hope to see you on the trail someday.

Thanks again to everyone for the responses and offers to help. If I can return the favor, don't hesitate to call on me.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2005
  11. 85mudblazin

85mudblazin 1/2 ton status

And you make good steak sandwichs also :D

12. justhorsinaround

justhorsinaround 3/4 ton status

Wow there Bubba. :eek1:

13. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Are you sure it's not private land???????????????????

14. xanthias

xanthias 1/2 ton status

Yes. It will be when the construction development starts. This is in my neighborhood--that's the only reason I know much about it. But I think your original point was about not trailblazing, trespassing, etc. and it is always well taken and a good reminder for everyone.

15. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Wheeling through developments is wrong also..................

16. spearchucker

spearchucker 1/2 ton status

If there are foundation packers on the property then someone must be putting up a house, which means that the property belongs to somebody besides you, which means that you were tresspassing. And as I found out from a local leo, if the owner wants to press charges they can if they know who vandalized the property.

17. xanthias

xanthias 1/2 ton status

All of that is right. But, again, to clarify--no foundations, no curbs, no development, no grading or planing done, no sight or survey lines laid out, no culverts cut, no nothing. No development of any kind at this point--just rough clear. The packer was parked out at the site, but construction (right word?) had not started. Nothing was or could be 'vandalized' or damaged in any way, other than my meager pride.

Also, I wish I could call it "wheeling". It wasn't, I was basically making a circle to view the clearing to see the boundary with my neighborhood and got stuck, which is more embarrassing to me as a driver (using that term loosely).

Anyhow, all's well that ends well. Thanks for everything. I welcome the vigilance for 'tread lightly' principles.

18. o2bjimmy

o2bjimmy 1/2 ton status

No harm done I say. To me its a treat whenever we get ready to start a new job. The equiptment rolls in on friday so that leaves me with saturday to make a motorcycle track, RC track, or if its raining a mud pit. Then Sunday I play. The great thing about it is that by tuesday all the topsoil has been stripped (always done) and we are getting down to subgrade. All sign of the past weekend is gone. I do it all the time.